Discuss How to wire two 7.5KW electric heaters to one breaker box? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

mjpierce1

DIY
Reaction score
In a large insulated garage on a farm I wish to wire two 7.5kw electic heaters. https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/...kGLhMefpcy_ejVb_Xo2CoahKIo-nIz2QaAgUfEALw_wcB

A "friend licensed electician" installed short pig tails to the lugs inside one of the units, then wire nutted together three 6 gauge wires inside this heater: 1) the short pig tail secured to the lugs 2) the input line from the breaker, and 3) the wire running to the other unit (which is adjacent). Hence, three 6 gauge wires are wire nutted together with a blue wire nut (on the wire nut package said "max two 6 ga"). I question this wiring.

If daisy chaining is appropriate, Is there a "junction box" available where the wires would be joined properly? I could see the breaker box wires running to this junction box main lugs, and then each of the heaters having their separate wires attaching to lugs in this box (thus daisy chaining). I'm unsure if breakers are installed in this box or perhaps not needed as the breaker is installed in the main breaker box.

Or should the electrical source breaker box have two separate 40 or 50 amp breakers, then wire directly for each heater. It is a 100 amp breaker box (Square D). Only basic 20 amp breakers are installed there and I have physical room for two double pole breakers.

If daisy chain is proper and there is a particular "junction box" avilable, I'd appreciate a specific part and source. I understand I also want to put the wires in flexible conduit. Which conduit and connectors to the breaker box and heaters are best?

What would be the most acceptable way to wire all this?

Thanks for anyone's thoughts. I want it to be safe and those three #6 wires nutted together just seamed strange to me. I recognize I am not electrician - but I know how to shut off the main breaker to keep from getting hurt. I Just want to be sure everything is wired safely.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a large insulated garage on a farm I wish to wire two 7.5kw electic heaters. https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/...kGLhMefpcy_ejVb_Xo2CoahKIo-nIz2QaAgUfEALw_wcB

A "friend licensed electician" installed short pig tails to the lugs inside one of the units, then wire nutted together three 6 gauge wires inside this heater: 1) the short pig tail secured to the lugs 2) the input line from the breaker, and 3) the wire running to the other unit (which is adjacent). Hence, three 6 gauge wires are wire nutted together with a blue wire nut (on the wire nut package said "max two 6 ga"). I question this wiring.

If daisy chaining is appropriate, Is there a "junction box" available where the wires would be joined properly? I could see the breaker box wires running to this junction box main lugs, and then each of the heaters having their separate wires attaching to lugs in this box (thus daisy chaining). I'm unsure if breakers are installed in this box or perhaps not needed as the breaker is installed in the main breaker box.

Or should the electrical source breaker box have two separate 40 or 50 amp breakers, then wire directly for each heater. It is a 100 amp breaker box (Square D). Only basic 20 amp breakers are installed there and I have physical room for two double pole breakers.

If daisy chain is proper and there is a particular "junction box" avilable, I'd appreciate a specific part and source. I understand I also want to put the wires in flexible conduit. Which conduit and connectors to the breaker box and heaters are best?

What would be the most acceptable way to wire all this?

Thanks for anyone's thoughts. I want it to be safe and those three #6 wires nutted together just seamed strange to me. I recognize I am not electrician - but I know how to shut off the main breaker to keep from getting hurt. I Just want to be sure everything is wired safely.
Each heater needs to have its dedicated breaker . I don’t know who wired #6 wire x 3 in a blue wire nut is not going to Work which could be dangerous because wire that big needs to be terminated using split bolts NOT WIRE NUTS. Every splice is a potential problem.

Each heater needs to have its dedicated breaker . I don’t know who wired #6 wire x 3 in a blue wire nut is not going to Work which could be dangerous because wire that big needs to be terminated using split bolts NOT WIRE NUTS. Every splice is a potential problem.
Thanks! That #6 X 3 just did not seam correct. When I removed the wire nut not hardly any strands had wrapped together.

The heater's instructions indicate that it can pull 31.1 amps and that #8 wire is sufficient and should be protected with a breaker of 50 amp OR BETTER.

What does OR BETTER mean? 60 amp breaker? 40 amp breaker?

Thanks again!!!

Last edited:
Thanks! That #6 X 3 just did not seam correct. When I removed the wire nut not hardly any strands had wrapped together.

The heater's instructions indicate that it can pull 31.1 amps and that #8 wire is sufficient and should be protected with a breaker of 50 amp OR BETTER.

What does OR BETTER mean? 60 amp breaker? 40 amp breaker?

Thanks again!!!
The # 8 is fine but what you have in your panel with all the breakers are sized using calculations called a calculated load so yes you could actually use 3 different breakers but the standers for your application a 50 amp breaker should be fine. Just because the instructions say 31 amp draw doesn’t mean it will actually draw that. Good luck with your project. Come back if you have any more questions

The # 8 is fine but what you have in your panel with all the breakers are sized using calculations called a calculated load so yes you could actually use 3 different breakers but the standers for your application a 50 amp breaker should be fine. Just because the instructions say 31 amp draw doesn’t mean it will actually draw that. Good luck with your project. Come back if you have any more questions
You are the best! Because of this forum and professionals like you, those of us who are DIY can feel more comfident! Thanks again!

Reply to How to wire two 7.5KW electric heaters to one breaker box? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net