Discuss Mains tails in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

sparks1234

-
Arms
Reaction score
We have been asked to carry out some delaps works on a small flat, believe me it is small and we tried swinging a real live cat, the funeral is friday.

Everything is fine within the flat, new consumer unit to be installed using the existing tails as they are in a Kopex type tube. The original main earth was 6mm and we have pulled a 16 mm through to replace it. The tails are 16 mm (not unusual) but the cutout fues is 100 amp on a TNC-S system.

The idea of installing larger tails is a bit of a nightmare as it will require surface trunking as they would not go through the Kopex, would the leccy board just replace the fuse for a 60 if asked?.

We have been asked to carry out some delaps works on a small flat, believe me it is small and we tried swinging a real live cat, the funeral is friday.

Everything is fine within the flat, new consumer unit to be installed using the existing tails as they are in a Kopex type tube. The original main earth was 6mm and we have pulled a 16 mm through to replace it. The tails are 16 mm (not unusual) but the cutout fues is 100 amp on a TNC-S system.

The idea of installing larger tails is a bit of a nightmare as it will require surface trunking as they would not go through the Kopex, would the leccy board just replace the fuse for a 60 if asked?.

Yes bud they should do that for you, they may charge though, i've never had that situation personally, is there any reason its 100a? as generally max in a domestic situation is 80a:eek:

100A seems to be the norm these days. I sometimes see 60's in rural areas, but 90% of the installations I've worked on over the last 5 years or so have been 100A.
They're responsible for the tails up to the meter, so if they're 16mm too, they should swap it for a 60.
That said, have you actually checked the fuse rating inside the carrier?
Even if it says 100A BS1361 Type IIb on the side, that isn't necessarily what's inside.

100A seems to be the norm these days. I sometimes see 60's in rural areas, but 90% of the installations I've worked on over the last 5 years or so have been 100A.
They're responsible for the tails up to the meter, so if they're 16mm too, they should swap it for a 60.
That said, have you actually checked the fuse rating inside the carrier?
Even if it says 100A BS1361 Type IIb on the side, that isn't necessarily what's inside.

Its a 100 amp

Reply to Mains tails in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net