Discuss Marquee power help please! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Nicolaq

DIY
Reaction score
Hi there,

I’ve hired a marquee for an event next month but am a bit lost on how to power it. There are 2 sockets 50 metres from the marquee and 2 sockets 80 metres from the marquee. We also have a 10kva generator, which provides over 7kva of continuous power and has 7 sockets.

We need to power the following:
Catering unit (1 plug)
Toilet block (1 plug)
Band (2 plugs)
Fridge x2
Freezer
Marquee lighting (1 plug)
Beer keg (1 plug)
Water boiler (can’t use extension lead, requires 2500 watts to heat up)

Our plan is to power the water boiler, fridges, freezer, catering van and toilets with the generator. Run 2 x 50 metre extension leads to the marquee and run the lighting, keg, and the band from there. I don’t think it’s possible to run an extension lead the 80 metres from the other plug?

Any advice on whether this would work, alternatives and ways to make it safe would be really appreciated please! Also, the generator description says that RCD plugs are recommended, do I need one for each plug in connecting to the generator? Im not too sure what they are or how they work. Thanks so much in advance!

Your plan sounds feasible to me, just watch out for the load from the catering unit.

the other way to do it may be to install a 63A socket near the position of the event that is fed from a dedicated supply via an armoured cable to the fuse board.
this would be the best option if events are to be a regular thing.

Reply to Marquee power help please! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net