Discuss Meter fitter refusing to connect to PME supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, currently working on a shop refurb at the moment.

It's a traditional building( bricks and mortar) with a house attached on the back.
The house and shop are on the same supply and meter for the time being. To move the project along we've had move the supply and meter to a new position.
DNO did their bit but meter fitted has refused to connect it all back up as he wants a Rod and RCD upfront due to the building works going on inside. (only one double socket is in use for builders)

I get this to a point but as the House/shop install is fully bonded and earthed does this still need to be done as far as BS7671 goes? I don't have Regs to hand but my understanding is if all extraneous and exposed parts and connected to earth then it's OK to stay PME.
He just said it was EDF policy and couldn't do anything unless it was sorted.

Other Electrician is on site now doing this and hoping to obtain a decent RA as they also need a test certificate before energising.

Do they work to BS7671 or is there another regulation they're working too? Can anyone shed some light on this as I don't want to get caught out again. Happy to admit I'm wrong if that's the case!

Thanks

I've had this issue before, years ago on a development of new builds - first one was sold ready for occupancy but the rest of the cul de sac was very much a building site, meter fitter was a total arse. Ended up chewing his bosses ear off down the phone and all of a sudden it was OK...

Well they've well and truly done us over on this one...meter fitter left site as he didn't want to hang around to have his TT install ready so he's left the customer without power to the shop and house and extremely ----ed off about it all as you'd expect.

Builder was on hold for over two hours trying to get hold of them, but no response.

Really annoying as all we wanted livened up was the part of the shop that's open for business and the house. Building works supply(double socket) could have been disconnected as far we were concerned but he didn't want to help us in the slightest.

Freezers full of food melting as we speak.

Well they've well and truly done us over on this one...meter fitter left site as he didn't want to hang around to have his TT install ready so he's left the customer without power to the shop and house and extremely ----ed off about it all as you'd expect.

Builder was on hold for over two hours trying to get hold of them, but no response.

Really annoying as all we wanted livened up was the part of the shop that's open for business and the house. Building works supply(double socket) could have been disconnected as far we were concerned but he didn't want to help us in the slightest.

Freezers full of food melting as we speak.
Log it as an emergency failure, get an overnight team out to it.

What a load of -------s.

Definition of construction site open to interpretation, but assuming no large ground works or plant on site can’t see the problem at all with PME

How many extensions get done with PME supply and often no RCD!!

Reply to Meter fitter refusing to connect to PME supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net