Discuss More EICR and smoke alarms in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Prompted by the other thread....
I had a slight dilemma on this topic a couple of days ago. Three mains smoke alarm bases, on their own circuit, but no detectors on them. The circuit breaker was off when I arrived. Also couldn't get an R2 reading on that circuit as it either wasn't looped through or was broken (unlikely as recent wiring).
So I had a little argument with myself. Someone could turn breaker on and just about access live parts if they were determined, and the lack of cpc is at least a C3. So I could code a C2 and a C3 minimum.
But on other hand the circuit isn't being used and likely won't be used, and it didn't seem desperately unsafe to me compared to some things we see. (Not relevant to EICR but there were battery smoke alarms too). And the installation was otherwise fine, had dual RCD board, all in completely new colours, and it seemed wrong for this issue to tip the balance.
I'll fess up what I did in due course, but am interested what others would have done?

They weren’t AICO...they were strange old things I didn’t recognise and I could touch the live part of the socket where a head would have twisted onto them. I personally had this as C2 (as out of reach) or C1.

In the end I phoned home owner and they confirmed they had no plans for mains smokes again so I disconnected it, left label in CU saying “smoke cct disconnected, cpc suspect” noted OC R2 reading on test sheet, and put note in the observations explaining.

In fact basically as Julie just posted while I was typing.

Last edited:
They weren’t AICO...they were strange old things I didn’t recognise and I could touch the live part of the socket where a head would have twisted onto them. I personally had this as C2 (as out of reach) or C1.

In the end I phoned home owner and they confirmed they had no plans for mains smokes again so I disconnected it, left label in CU saying “smoke cct disconnected, cpc suspect” noted OC R2 reading on test sheet, and put note in the observations explaining.

In fact exactly as Julie just posted while I was typing.
well as the adverts say

"No need to make a drama out of an EICR"

I would just drop the feed out of the MCB to isolate permanently and connect it to into the earth bar to do with any induced currents and voltages or at least till the replacement sensors are fitted.
Can't have conductors flapping on the breeze if they're not in use, that's a cowboy move.

Reply to More EICR and smoke alarms in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net