Discuss Motor options for electric tug in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I'm sorry if this is not in the right area.
I am building my own small house, I need some help moving materials around the site, I like the electric tug type design in the pic attached.

I am able to design and fabricate my own custom version.

I want a off the shelf low torque motor, preferably 12v but can do single phase from an inverter.

The cart puller will need to pull weight, approx 1/1.5 tonne.

Want forward and reverse ( is speed control possible?) Brakes outtavthw question

I will fabricate the steel work myself but I need advice on the best way to go to propel it and around rough ground.

What sort of electrical circuit and Motor could do this job?

Should I use chain an sprockets pillow block bearing s?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Live footage can be seen at

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220228-191620.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Might be worth getting hold of a damaged electric wheelchair and using the motor, gearbox and wheels.
That's a good idea, trying to think of things that might work. Looking at videos of wheelchair motor projects. Would wheel chair motors have enough power to pull a tonne to tonne and a half?

That's a good idea, trying to think of things that might work. Looking at videos of wheelchair motor projects. Would wheel chair motors have enough power to pull a tonne to tonne and a half?

Mmm, not sure to be honest.

Look at "caravan movers" on ebay. Most will be the type that attach under the caravan and drive the tyres directly by gritted or fluted rollers, some are powered jockey wheels, but a few are the tug type that have a tow ball on them, and they generally sell for not too much money.
They are mostly intended to be used on tarmac type surfaces, but there might be something suitable, even if you have to fix different tyres.

Look at "caravan movers" on ebay. Most will be the type that attach under the caravan and drive the tyres directly by gritted or fluted rollers, some are powered jockey wheels, but a few are the tug type that have a tow ball on them, and they generally sell for not too much money.
They are mostly intended to be used on tarmac type surfaces, but there might be something suitable, even if you have to fix different tyres.
Thanks, Yes have seen them, one or two of those together should move a tonne, they are
on the short list

Reply to Motor options for electric tug in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net