Discuss moving up the ladder in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

d_sparks

Hi folks,

Has anyone got any advise about this? Ive been an electrician for 28 yrs both commercial, industrial, and domestic, Ive been self employed most of that time so I have some experirnce in contract estimating and man management. I want to look for a job as a contracts manager/supervisor.The problem is my old city and guilds Part 1 and years of experience don't count for much, I'm going to need more paper qualifications. As I haven't been to college for so long where do I start, and what qualifications would I need? I think my C+G was D236? but I know thats changed since I did it.

Hi folks,

Has anyone got any advise about this? Ive been an electrician for 28 yrs both commercial, industrial, and domestic, Ive been self employed most of that time so I have some experirnce in contract estimating and man management. I want to look for a job as a contracts manager/supervisor.The problem is my old city and guilds Part 1 and years of experience don't count for much, I'm going to need more paper qualifications. As I haven't been to college for so long where do I start, and what qualifications would I need? I think my C+G was D236? but I know thats changed since I did it.

Depends what the employer wants, I have a mate who works for a national contractor,
his qualifications are a bit "rusty" & the boss keeps telling him to go back to college for an upgrade!
I think 17th edition & 2391 are a good start.

Hi.

In addition to sparks' reccomendations, you may wnt to look at 2391-20 design and verification.

Or you could go straight in and look at an HNC perhaps???

d sparks,

I have been up the slippery pole myself and although i have ahnc and a good apprenticeship behind me it was the actual ability on the job that get's you promoted, no amount of paper work alone will help (paper work and ability is obviously the best).

I recommend swallowing humble pie, signing onto a growing company and proving yourself by taking pressure of your line manager by excelling to get noticed, this doesn't mean brown nosing just being good at your job being a self starter and providing answers and solutions to problems rather than turning to the boss for everything - this approach worked for me!

Good luck

Nottingham and trent uni do a part time degree course in building services engineering 3yrs hard work , - no going down the pub!

Hi folks,

Most of the advice above is good advice. I would reccommend getting the relevant paperwork to go for a JIB S card.

With your 236 p1, colleges and private providers will accept you onto the 2330 L3. With your wealth of diverse experience, once you have documented your evidence you can go for your 2356 NVQ3, of course a 17th edition and 2391 are recommended aswell.

IMO you will get higher recognition and wages with these qualifications.

Reply to moving up the ladder in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net