Discuss My flat is an electrical lemon! HELP!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

puranah69

Guys,

The 2 bed flat I recently moved into is all electric. It has a Hyco Instaneous water heater (rated 12.8kW - 53A at 230v), a Shower (rated 10.5kW - 45A), Heatrae Amptec electric central heating (rated 9kW - 39A) an electric hob (rated 6kW - 25A) and double oven (rated 5.5kW - 23A) in addition to the usual array of sockets and lights . Total (not including sockets/diversity etc), 185amps!!!!

One evening last week, the central heating was on (first time this year), my gf was taking a shower and I was cooking. I turned on the hot water for the washing up and BANG! Everything went dark as all the power went off. Looking in the consumer unit, everything was fine, nothing had tripped - it was the main distribution board fuse that had blown (which was a right nuisance to get sorted out at 9pm at night).

Obvious, now, that with all those appliances running, plus the TV and a few other bits, we were drawing almost double the rating of the main fuse so not really that astonishing (all these appliances had been installed by the previous owner, but it never occurred to me that all these on simultaneously might overload the main supply. It wasn't until I investigated the current draw of each appliance and did the calcs I realised!!!!).

What DID surprise me, though, was nothing in the Consumer Unit had prevented tripped. The flat had a 16th Edition board which was very recently upgraded to a 17th Edition one.

The devices on each MCB were within their individual MCB limits, so none of them tripped (except the Hyco, which had a 45amp MCB, but didn't trip anyway).

I didn't realise until researching this that the current rating on an RCD is NOT the maximum load before it will trip, its just what the RCD is rated to take - that's very dangerous in my view, because I made the assumption it was an overcurrent rating and so did a few of my friends I spoke to.

QUESTION 1: The 100Amp Main Switch didn't trip either. Are these supposed to provide overcurrent protection and my one has a fault on it, or does nothing in a 17th Edition Consumer Unit provide overall overcurrent protection before the 100 amp main fuse?

So, to remedy this, I permanently disconnected the electric shower and installed a mixer tap. The shower now runs off the Hyco (which works marvellously, by the way - much better than the Triton, and no electrics in Zone 1 or broken knobs).

QUESTION 2: I want to reduce the load even further. Heatrae Amptec supply a relay, RL1 which cuts the boiler run circuit whilst the shower main pull-switch is energised. This is fine if you have a shower pull-switch, but is useless in my situation where I want to cut the central heating when any hot water demand is present.
a) Has anyone got any experience of the RL1 relay?
b) They're very expensive for what they are (over ÂŁ90). Is there a cheaper solution? (something from RS Components, maybe?)
c) The Hyco has a magnetic flow sensor in it which triggers a relay that energises the heater element when the hot water tap is opened. My thinking, having looked at the circuit diagram for the RL1, is that instead of connecting the coil (A1) to the demand side of the "shower pull switch", I could connect it to the live of the heater element in the Hyco and the neutral (A2) to the Hyco neutral with a 2a fuse. Thus, when the Hyco flow switch triggers the relay and energises the hot water heater element, it would also energise the coil in the RL1 relay and break the boiler control (run) signal, shutting down the Central Heating. Anyone any thoughts on this?

QUESTION 3. When upgrading my 16th Edition Consumer Unit, a second 63amp RCD was added which was fine and the load balanced. However, one of the MCB's had 3 red lives, not 2. I assumed it was a ring, plus one local spur. However, investigating further, I discovered that each cable supplied one double socket individually in the living room. I went through all the regs and couldn't see anything that would suggest this arrangement was not compliant - it was just not mentioned (I can't imagine why anyone would do this - it's extremely inefficient use of cable). I saw another thread on here in April this year with a similar issue. There was interesting to'ing and fro'ing, but no definitive conclusion. Does anyone have any definitive view on whether this is definitely compliant or not? Will it fail the inspection?

QUESTION 4. The 10mm cables to the Central Heating and Hyco are run in a large (3") plastic conduit from the consumer unit, then go through the wall into an airing cupboard where they are clipped to the wall. I can understand clipping the cables provides the lowest thermal solution, but is running double insulated cable 10mm cable clipped to the wall in the airing cupboard within regulations? In fact, what are the regulations to use plastic conduit (either surface mounted or within the plaster). I can't seem to find it in the BS7671 regs.

Finally, the cables from the CU to the ring/sockets and the meter tails have been run up inside the cavity wall. This has subsequently been filled with EPS cavity wall insulation at some point resulting in the insulation on a couple of the cables going soft and sticky. I contacted the Energy Savings Trust for their view on what I should do. Their reply was as follows, and I quote...

"cavity wall insulation materials, such as blown mineral wool, could be used and would not have caused any reaction with the older wiring, although the older wiring could still overheat. Best practice would be to replace the cables in the cavity with modern and uprated electrical cable, such that the cavity could then be filled by either EPS or mineral wool with none of the above described risks."

QUESTION 5. I didn't think it was EVER acceptable to run cable up a cavity due to the thermal issues of cables overheating, irrespective of the insulation material used. Anyone got any views on this? In any event, I'll be replacing all the cables. Can you chase meter tails into a wall (the CU is about 3m from the distribution board). Should plastic or metal conduit protect the tails? If not, is it ok to run them in plastic conduit mounted on the surface of the wall?

Final question, has anyone got any good ideas about junction boxes for extending . I plan to chop the 6 2.5mm cables where they exit from the floor and re-run them in plastic conduit up the wall to the consumer unit (instead of up the cavity). My two thoughts were either:-

- to use a 12 way junction box like this one from RS? Don't know what size connector strip this accepts - looks like 5amp only to me
J701 RS | 12 way rectangular junction box | 262-7893 | Welcome to RS Online

If I went this route or similar with a larger plastic box from RS, can I just connect only the lives and neutrals to the connection strip, and route all the earths onto an earth connection block, with a single 16mm earth back to the distribution board and another single 16mm earth to the consumer unit? I'm guessing not, because it would be nigh on impossible to do the Earth Loop Impedance tests for the final circut.

- to use individual IP20 junction boxes with 30amp connectors in each one (if they'll fit). eg. Toolstation > Electrical > Junction Boxes > Junction Box IP20

I really want to avoid having 6 ugly round 30amp junction boxes. I would much prefer them all to be in one nice box. So any suggestions that still meet the regs welcome.

Sorry, lots of questions and a long post, but I've got myself an electrical lemon with this flat so want to get it all sorted and inspected/signed-off asap.

regards
stu

Detailed post. Firstly is your supply fuse 100amp with that lot I would think it will have to be. I was interested in your bit about the RCD. Where did you get the information from regarding the loading.

Question 1 the 100amp switch is just that, a switch and does not work as a protection device it is purely for isolation.

Question 2 I'm afraid I'll have to skip this as I have never worked with this model.

Question 3 If you look at Reg 314.4 it tells us that each final circuit should be connected to a seperate way at the CU. For me each double socket is a seperate Radial and therefore should be on a seperate way. This for me is why I don't personally like "doubling up" at anytime at a protection device. If I was doing a PIR then I would code this a 2 or 3 and advise making the 3 double sockets a single radial.

Question 4 It is perfectly acceptable to clip cable direct to a surface. The electrician doing the original job would asses the enviroment and select a proper erection method, so in his opinion clipping direct to surface in an airing cupboard was that method.
Again plastic conduit/trunking is a recognised containment system and again it would be the call of the designer/electrician to choose what method of erection to use. In a domestic situation use of plastic conduit/trunking will not be prohibitive. Throughout section 52 of the regs you will find references for conduit and trunking

Question 5 Concerning cables in Cavities. I don't have the building regs with me so can't comment if it is prohibited to run cables or not in cavities as far as they are concerned, perhaps someone can help here. In the regs 523.7 suggests a cable should not run through a location where it is likely to be covered by thermal insulation, ie cavities. It is not prohibited to do so. it just means that on design you will have to factor this in.

Question 6 You can always buy an adaptable box, a piece of din rail and some klippon connectors that would be one way. You could if your running in trunking to the CU crimp connect and heat sleeve each cable, as the trunking will afford mechanical protection for the joint as in Reg 526.1

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for your reply

Re: RCD's & overcurrent protection. There are quite a few articles in various forums, but both Wiki & DIYWiki say the same thing. RCD's provide protection against leakage beween conductors, not overcurrent protection (which could be provided with an RCBO). See RCD - DIYWiki.

Question 1. So that means that the only overcurrent protection for overdemand on a 17th Edition CU is the distribution board fuse. That doesn't sound too great, but then again, I suppose it's no worse than an old fuse-wire board. I think, though, it's causing a lot of confusion, because when people look at a 13amp fuse, they think "Ah, a 13amp fuse. If I connect it to my shower, it will blow)" and when they look at their RCD and the Main Switch, because they're marked 80a & 100a respectively, they would naturally think the same thing!!!!

Question 2. I did lots of research on this through the night... My conclusion is that the Heatrae Amptec RL1 relay is a simple general purpose relay, of type SPST-NC (single pole, single throw, normally closed), with a 240v AC coil. RS Components do such a device (Tyco RMC05730) - Tyco Electronics | Relays, Switches and Indicators | Relays | General Purpose Relay | Power Relays |RMC05730. I can't see any difference between this (ÂŁ11.69) and the RL1 (ÂŁ90). Anyway, I'm going to buy one and try it out with a fan heater and a light first (cheaper than blowing up a ÂŁ200 Hyco and a ÂŁ650 Heatrae) to see if it works. I'll let the forum know!

Question 3. That's disappointing, but I'm not surprised. The pain is I'm out of space for any more MCBs, so I'm going to have to get another 4 way consumer unit just for 2 double sockets in the lounge. It's not practical to try and chase the lounge sockets, as the floors and ceilings are concrete and the decoration disruption would not be tolerated by the missus!

Question 4. Thanks, I'll look that up

Question 5. Yup, that's what I thought. I'm going to re-run them anyway.

Question 6. Thanks for the tip about the Klippon range - that's perfect. I don't like crimping cable, especially when it's single solid core not multistrand. I just don't trust the crimps to last, particularly where the cable runs vertically and the crimp has to support the weight of the cable. I'll get the Klippon!

Puranah Whoa back there. In your OP you stated that the current rating on a RCD is not the actual load it can carry. So I read it that you meant that a 63amp RCD will trip before that ie say 50+, I asked where you saw that as that is not true a 63amp RCD will take 63amps and a little more before it trips.

You are correct by saying that an RCD will not offer overlaod protection that is why an RCD is regaded as Additional Protection. Your "Split" 17th board will have, in most configurations, a 100amp DP Switch/Isolator and 2 RCD 80amp and 63amp. Then you will have each circuit protected by a MCB which is giving you that overload protection. If the use of protection device was a RCBO then you have both overload and fault protection.

So though your DNO fuse is giving your whole installation overload protection, those circuit MCB's after your RCD is providing that for the individual circuits

thread resurrection.jpeg

Reply to My flat is an electrical lemon! HELP!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net