Discuss Need a really basic / cheap MFT for rough use in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I could do with finding a meter that only really needs to do Loop and RCD (type, range, ramp and time), that's small and robust and cheap enough that if it get's trashed in a rainy muddy field I won't be sobbing into my beer too much. Anyone have any suggestions other than finding a second hand MFT on the flea shop? I had a quick look around the options from RS (a useful research tool, not to buy!) and nothing leapt out at me.

Metrel MI 3125 Lite Eurotest Combo Multifunctional Tester ,if you drop this in field adlest it not a megger .costing a second and banger .
what about this one small but handy ,ok who put the big writing on this.​

I'd offer these guys a bad price for this Dilog DL9110 and take a punt.

Typical ebay seller who gets stuff they know nothing about. It powers up and comes without leads, so there's every chance it's in perfect working order. Been listed since last June, so they might be ready to accept a low offer...

I was going to say that DiLOG make a slightly more basic one as well:
No new options are likely to be much cheaper. Also the DiLOG one comes with a half-decent case to protect it.

EDIT: What is lacks is 3-phase stuff, remote on-probe test button, and 1kV testing (compared to the 9118)

I'd offer these guys a bad price for this Dilog DL9110 and take a punt.

Typical ebay seller who gets stuff they know nothing about. It powers up and comes without leads, so there's every chance it's in perfect working order. Been listed since last June, so they might be ready to accept a low offer...

Bit tight how they've took the strap off it and listed it separately for £20 !!

I have the kewtech KT63dl its small and IP rated as well, it does all the test you mention including type A rcds.
Do the KT63 do a ramp test?, I have looked at then due to being more compact than my fluke and couldn't see ramp setting on the dial unless you get to it another way

Look at Ethos at CEF no thrillsand does the job
I have one and a fancy megger and ethos is the go to tester every time for ELI PFC and Rcd

I believe socket and see and kewtech have the same testers just different colours and re-branded, so might be cheaper from other manufacturers etc

Does it need to do non-trip loop tests?
A few months ago i needed a small and "dont mind getting damaged" loop tester but only high current tests, i picked an older martindale unit up on ebay for £20
In my view the absolute rock bottom cheapest 2nd hand MFT worth buying is the KTS1620 which is also sold as Kewtech KT62. They don't fetch much money now, sometimes under £50.
They have limitations of course - no ramp test, no auto RCD tests (need to change phase angle and time multiplier manually) and no low-current loop tests. As recently as last year, when my Kewtech started doing odd readings in the middle of a job I was forced to get out the old Robin and managed to get through an EIC with one (calculating Zs).
1644531109927.png

Reply to Need a really basic / cheap MFT for rough use in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net