Discuss Need Advice on Single LED Purchase in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

absolute noob in LEDs and plugs/connectors.

I need to buy a single, small LED that connects to the connector shown in the picture below. A 3.3V battery powers that plug.

I'm looking for the brightest LED available that can be connected to this connector, or maybe two small LEDs if they can be combined in the same plug.

Appreciate any suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks.
Pete

LED_connector_01.jpgLED_connector_02.jpgLED_connector_03.jpg

Probably your best bet is to buy a prewired LED from ebay avoid the majority that are set up for 12V supplies and also buy a jst micro lead then join the two in a connector block to get a micro connector ended LED.
Measure the distance between the two silver connections to get the pitch of the connector in mm to buy the right type.
The LED would likely be 3 / 3.2 V which should be OK for a 3.3V supply, but if it is only running the LED you may need a low value high wattage resistor in the circuit to prevent the current being too high, though if it is from a battery with high internal resistance (alkaline battery) it will probably be OK.

A LED takes a set amount of current, although a red LED is around 1.2 volt and white LED around 3 volt it is not the voltage that matters it is the current.

So common method is three LED's and a resistor in series fed from 12 volt, so around 9 volt on LED's and resistor limits the current.

Using a single white LED then 5 volt is good again LED and resistor in series so resistor limits the current.

However the voltage your looking at does not give enough gap to use a resistor, so it would need a switch mode unit to control the current so price starts to jump. It may be that the battery has a limited output so it would work OK, however it could also have a thermal ran away and blow the LED.

Using a coloured LED it would work, as said red LED around 1.2 volt so again LED and resistor. But thing to remember a LED is controlled by current not voltage.

Reply to Need Advice on Single LED Purchase in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net