Discuss Neff Induction Hob Power and Load question? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Joe S

-
Reaction score
I have a customer who is having a Kitchen fitted and has all the appliances picked out and ordered. The hob is an induction type hob and it says in the Kitchen Costing that it is a 20a Load required. When investigating the actual spec of the hob it states clearly that it is a 4.6kw Hob. I just wanted to double check as now allowance was made for a new circuit but judging by the spec a 4 or 6mm T&E is required.

Any help appreciated.

the actual spec of the hob it states clearly that it is a 4.6kw Hob.

That's an incredibly small KW load for an induction hob, is it only a 2 zone unit?? The unit i have is over 7 KW, and as far as i know isn't a particularly heavy load model....

It has four rings with 9 different settings apprarently. I remember someone saying that induction hobs need a smaller supply but when I read the 4.6kw in the spec that just didn't feel right for a 2.5mm T&E??

It has four rings with 9 different settings apprarently. I remember someone saying that induction hobs need a smaller supply but when I read the 4.6kw in the spec that just didn't feel right for a 2.5mm T&E??

Most full sized zones on an induction hob are usually a min of 2 KW, (and often higher) generally there are 3 such zones with a single smaller rated zone. They are normally around 1.3 to 1.5 KW on a standard hob... Maybe you have a hob with all small induction zones??

Induction hobs generally take larger currents, but for far shorter time durations than a normal electric hob, halogen or otherwise and are of course almost as controllable as a Gas Hob...

Have you got a make and model No of this unit to check??

Last edited by a moderator:
Most full sized zones on an induction hob are usually a min of 2 KW, (and often higher) generally there are 3 such zones with a single smaller rated zone. They are normally around 1.3 to 1.5 KW on a standard hob... Maybe you have a hob with all small induction zones??

Induction hobs generally take larger currents, but for far shorter time durations than a normal electric hob, halogen or otherwise and are of course almost as controllable as a Gas Hob...

Have you got a make and model No of this unit to check??

Neff - T42E20X1EU

just googled this model. it does say "electrical supply 4.6kW". wonder if they are factoring in diversity. that could make sense. i'd install 6mm on a 32A MCB.

Neff - T42E20X1EU

Can't get on to the Neff site for some reason, and i've been through 2 pages of goggle looking at every one!! lol!! Not one of them give individual zone ratings!! Grrr!!

Did get a laugh from one site though ''Appliance Reviews'' said this was a top rated (as far as KW rating goes)!! Then couldn't answer how this unit compared with other units with a higher KW rating, ...Seems he didn't quite understand the question then. ..lol!!!

I'll try and have another go tomorrow at getting through to the Neff site...

Thanks guys. It confused me when the Kitchen Company are quoting for a 20a supply when the hob is 4.6kw. The customer wants me to do the work instead of their sparks and a good job too if thats what they're saying in their quotes!

Thanks guys. It confused me when the Kitchen Company are quoting for a 20a supply when the hob is 4.6kw. The customer wants me to do the work instead of their sparks and a good job too if thats what they're saying in their quotes!

Maybe because that's what the manufactures have recommended!!

Just been looking at other NEFF induction hobs, ...even a 2 zone job is rated at 3.6KW, and most of the other4 zone NEFF jobbies have a rating of 7.2 KW and above. Which is why i questioned the KW rating of this unit you have...

I know the Siemens ones can be down rated with about 4 different power settings , but they cannot be altered back after! As neff Bosch and Siemens are all made in the same factory I wonder if this is the case?

I know the Siemens ones can be down rated with about 4 different power settings , but they cannot be altered back after! As neff Bosch and Siemens are all made in the same factory I wonder if this is the case?

I didn't know this. Maybe thats why they were aiming for a 20a supply by down rating the appliance. Not a good move imo as the customer has chosen the appliance for a reason.

So you don't want any plastering done and you want downlighters fitted oh and it's a flat roof you say oh I can assure you mr jones our electricians are brilliant it won't be a problem !!

Reply to Neff Induction Hob Power and Load question? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net