Discuss Neutral & live reverse polarity in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but reversing polarity also increases the risk of fire in the event of a fault as Neutral (now live) to earth faults would not be protected by a fuse or circuit breaker.
seen that. reverse done by DNO. immersion heater failed and caused house fire. big bill for DNO.

The fact that reversed polarity defeats the protection given by fuses and MCBs is arguably more important than items being live when switched off, as the danger is always present and does not need poor working practice before it strikes. When the reversal is between the meter and the consumer unit, any circuits not covered by an RCD are only protected against a line-earth short-circuit by the DNO's fuse, since the MCB is now in the neutral. If there are socket-outlet circuits without RCD protection, which there can be on older installations, then appliances connected by 13A plugs are likewise unprotected by the plug fuse (which is also now in the neutral). In the event of an appliance fault or damaged flex, the arc-flash that a short-circuit would cause could be quite serious. I would not like to see an argument between a faulty handheld kitchen appliance and a 100A DNO fuse.

Well I think you said it really, things still being live when you think you switched them off. The other main possibility is damaging equipment. It is one of the primary tests and it is unthinkable that it was left out by some one. This is gross negligence.
In Tort there are three hurdles to claiming damages. One, was there a duty of care? Absolutely-Two was the duty of care breached? clearly it was-And three did any harm result from it? No.
However had your Husband decided to sink a socket and was not competent electrically he may have been electrocuted. If he undertook work he was not competent to do then and harm resulted that would count as contributory negligence.
I think you have had a very lucky escape. Give thanks no harm resulted from this.

It would be more appropriate to plead breach of contract and far easier to show than tortuous liability. Higher duties of care and all that.

Presumably there is certification and that should show polarity was checked.

I’d also be reporting this to the solar installers scheme and trading standards for both to investigate.

hmmmmm . Do you have any pictures you can upload . I'm struggling to see at which part of the circuit the polarity is reversed . The inverter wouldn't work connected reverse polarity .
Did you get any generation from the panels ?
Was the meter connected LNLN instead of LNNL ?

On a more lighthearted note i find the best way to sink a socket is to drop one into a tub of water (unconnected of course)

Reply to Neutral & live reverse polarity in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net