Discuss Never done a s plan. Stuggling in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

what about the connections back at the boilet left with a 4 core and earrth and 2 core and eath for every floor " the emersion 4 core and earth from the 1st floor

Where have you connected them within each UH4? Why is the immersion wired in 4 core and earth? The immersion would be used as a back up for if and when the boiler or system component fails. The immersion would usually be wired as a dedicated 16A radial from the CU with a double switch next to the cylinder and 1.5mm butyl between double pole switch and immersion.

i have 4 core emersion and a 2 core immersion. even more stressed out now guys..girlfriend of 2 years found out she was cheating on me saturday :/ simply cant focus on anything

also says needs a double pole isollator doesnt have to be a lockoff one or can it just be a switch :c got 5 hours to get my head around it before leaving for london

Last edited by a moderator:
Not being nasty Mike, but please get some help on this. You're clearly well out of your depth.

Maybe you're still in touch with your mentor, or somebody local to you on here can help?

Digging around the forum looking for something to read and found this. Not an expert on heating systems, but a very experienced on life. FORGET her, she's done you a favour, that you've found out now, sooner rather than later. Move on, and put her in the past. Now back to the heating thing, Bump Lee.

Last edited:
Just had a quick read of this thread. Never done Mega flo system, but it is important you get it right. If your determined to do this, without assistance on site (and if Lee is off-line), you could try Megaflo technical.

The mega flow and any similar unvented cylinder must have all of the required overheat and excess pressure protection (both hydraulic and electrical) fitted correctly and working. If it is not correct and it overheats then it will become a big pipe-bomb and explode demolishing the house and scattering shrapnel everywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i have 4 core emersion and a 2 core immersion. even more stressed out now guys..girlfriend of 2 years found out she was cheating on me saturday :/ simply cant focus on anything

also says needs a double pole isollator doesnt have to be a lockoff one or can it just be a switch :c got 5 hours to get my head around it before leaving for london

You do not have a four core immersion or a two core immersion.

What you most likely have is a four core cable and two core cable coming from the terminal box of the mega flow. The immersion heater is the electric heater inside the cylinder.

The mega flow and any similar unvented cylinder must have all of the required overheat and excess pressure protection (both hydraulic and electrical) fitted correctly and working. If it is not correct and it overheats then it will become a big pipe-bomb and explode demolishing the house and scattering shrapnel everywhere.

OP has kinda been encouraged its not too difficult thing to do davesparks. Personally I've never done one, although that wouldn't put me off doing one with a bit of research and advice from their technical. I wouldn't be doing it with the added pressure of time scale (as OP seems to be under) and personnel issues. As said, it's not something to get wrong. Time to regroup Mike, no one you can ask for assistance on site?

The thing with central heating systems is that they aren't taught very well if at all at college. Now unless you have a good mentor throughout your apprenticeship, which covers that area of work then how are you meant to learn? Mistakes can cost time and money but can be one of the most influential learning curves.

Ok so I was taught heating controls as part of my apprenticeship so that is how I learned the basics.
However I was not taught stage lighting control systems, generators, anything more than bare basic earth electrode theory, appliance repairs, vehicle wiring, gas regulations, and a multitude of other things , but I have managed to learn all of these things outside of my apprenticeship off my own back via research, reading books, looking at the systems and working them out and asking a million and one questions when I get the opportunity to meet someone who knows the answers.

I didn't learn anything about the plumbing side of boilers during my apprenticeship, I have learned that entirely through looking at it, reading the manuals for boilers when I wire them, watching plumbers whilst I'm waiting for the, to get out of the way and also actively offering to help them out when I'm waiting for them to finish up so that I can test a system.

You don't stop learning when your apprenticeship finishes, it is just the start of a lifelong opportunity to learn.

Yes mistakes are a good learning experience, but don't limit it to your own mistakes, learn from everybody else's mistakes.
For example I learned about the danger of incorrectly draining down a hot water cylinder like the megaflow being discussed here when I witnessed a plumber get it wrong and cause the whole cylinder to implode. I could have just laughed at his misfortune (which I did quite a lot of too) but I also took the time to learn what exactly happened and why, and how to avoid it.

As Davesparks has pointed out the terminal box on the cylinder with the strip of connectors has connections for the immersion and connections for the cylinder thermostat.

From left to right terminal 1 is common, terminal 2 breaks when temp rises above set point, terminal 3 makes when temp rises above set point, terminal 4 live immersion, terminal 5 neutral immersion and 6th terminal earth.

Immersion feed from double pole switch connects to terminals 4,5 and 6

Cylinder thermostat connects to terminal 1,2 and cpc in 6

2 connects to the brown of the hot water valve and an 1 connects to the terminal of the hot water valve connection in the UH4 where the rest of the hot water valve connections are terminated The heatmiser UH4 wiring diagram shows the connection of the valve.

Got to say that is a very cool and generous thing for Leesparkykent to do. After all the rubbish (politics and hate) I have heard and witnessed over the last few weeks it is nice and refreshing to see guys going out of their way to help each other out, Think the day should end in the pub if you are not driving.

Reply to Never done a s plan. Stuggling in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net