Discuss New Boiler Install & Controls in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Phillay

Hi guys, hope all are well. First post on these forums, so go easy on us!

Just had a new combi installed, Worc B, 28CDI Compact. Don't hold my gas, so I've had someone gas safe registered install it. There was already a spur from the ring-main to an FCU which the old combi was connected to. Requirements for the new boiler are 3amp fuse and PVC insulated 0.75mm cable, which has been used so all is good there.

My previous combi wasn't condensing and didn't have a room stat, just a timeclock. I replaced the timeclock with a programmable RF stat, the Honeywell CM900, fairly straightforward to connect up. Unfortunately, the chap that has installed my new boiler hasn't got a clue how to wire up the external CM900 into the new installation as the boiler and stat install instructions contradict a bit. Told him to leave it and I'll wire it in myself.

The new boiler has a 230v out point that currently has a small cable link into the heating LR (yep pump is permanently running at the mo!). I'm pretty comfortable in wiring up the stat receiver straight from the boiler. However, the Honeywell install instructions specify the cable used for the receiver should be between 1.5-2.5mm (the instructions are based on the stat being wired into the FCU as opposed to through the boiler L/N/E out though). As the power to the receiver will be coming straight from the boiler, should I still use 1.5-2.5mm? particular given that the power to the boiler itself is through the smaller 0.75mm cable. Obviously any cable I use will be heat resistant.

Secondly, due to the installation point of the boiler, I need to install a condensate pump and have purchased a Grundfos Conlift1. Again, the gas safe chap didn't know how to install this and so I currently have a bucket sat under the condensate pipe. Install instructions aren't too clear, but basically the pump has no plug, a twin core & earth flex power cable and also a two core 0.5mm cable for a safety overflow that needs wiring in to cut the boiler off if the pump fails. The install instructions talk about the installation requiring a 10 A slow-blowing fuse and that it must be connected to an external mains switch with minimum contact gap of 3mm in all poles. Got to be honest that without a diagram and clear spec I'm a bit lost on how to wire this into the 3amp installation. Any ideas or advise would be great... although if it's too risky, I'm happy to call someone in.

Cheers for your help.

I can't remember which setup the compacts have off the top of my head, despite having connected a fair few of them.

Normal worcester wiring is Ls and Ns are the supply to external controls, Lr is the switched live to fire the boiler, just run a three core (+cpc) cable of your desired type and 0.75mm minimum csa to the roomstat receiver.

To be perfectly honest the best thing to do is ditch the honeywell stat and get a worcester bosch one, the programmer and receiver is an all in one unit which plugs in to the boiler and fits in the space where there is a square blank panel in the middle of the controls.

Reply to New Boiler Install & Controls in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net