Discuss new builds with no rcd protection?!? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If it was designed to the 16th edition, you could get away with no rcd protection in flats above ground floor where sockets would not be expected to be used outside and supplementary bonding was across all bathroom circuits.

With one exception - an electricians home.
Seriously.
Think about it.

No, you can't, because you can't control who else comes into the home. No domestic dwelling can be considered to be under the control of anything other than an ordinary person under any circumstances. The guidance will confirm this.

Wiring in steel conduit? Unlikely in this day and age but would make it 17th compliant - RCD needed where no other protection, and all that. An RCD isn't a 17th must-have, it's just the easiest way to meet the requirements.

PJ

Yup I agree I've been reading and I cant really see any valid loop holes as to why they wouldn't put them in.

either designed to 16th or not designed to bs7671 (not law don't forget) don't ask me how they got signed off though.

They probably got signed off because , as usual, the building inspector doesn't know what he is looking at and just sees a certificate. The blame at the end of the day lies with the person who signs the certificate.

Wiring in steel conduit? Unlikely in this day and age but would make it 17th compliant - RCD needed where no other protection, and all that. An RCD isn't a 17th must-have, it's just the easiest way to meet the requirements.

PJ

With few exceptions it is a requirement for sockets though.

PJ

It is if you want a bathroom in the property that utilizes 230volts circuits and sockets outlets to BS 1363

No, you can't, because you can't control who else comes into the home. No domestic dwelling can be considered to be under the control of anything other than an ordinary person under any circumstances. The guidance will confirm this.

Just playing devils advocate for one moment.....
Everyone who lives or comes into your house doesnt need to be an electrician , so long as the installation remains under the supervision of a skilled individual , which it does if a spark lives there......

yes 16th edition design i reckon.
but i dont thing there should be no rcd protection at all even 16 required some protection.
although both apartments i checked were not on ground floor...

Why does 16th require some RCD protection? There are no sockets that can supply outdoor equipment, that we know, and its not a TT system. No need for RCD. All the guys banging on about steel conduit, SELV, and cross bonding are simply complicating the matter. Its quite obviously a 16th edition install. Nowhere has the op stated they have been built since 2009. Why he doensnt know the age of the building/installation is beyond me.

well taking into consideration that you will have no skilled person. there is no paperwork with the owners or building, so no date as to when it was designed or built. and i have tried to look up age of building but no one seems to know.
so i have put in a quote to put in some rcbo,s. to satisfy 17th.
as it stands thats all i can think of doing to cover my back.

Could the properties all be 17th edition with the cables >50mm in the wall?

do you know what i never thought of that one.lol
but its been around a little while, according to the letting agents.
cheers.
some times the simplest things...

Reply to new builds with no rcd protection?!? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net