Discuss New career @ 47? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

diced carrots

Trainee
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm 47 years old and I would like to re-train as an electrician.

I've enrolled on a L2 Installers Course (C&G 2365) which is going well, but it's a year long evening course. I'm considering switching to a fast track L2/L3 distance course (like those offered by Trade Skills 4 U).

I guess at some point I'll have to get an apprenticeship so that I can complete my NVQ3. I'm not too concerned about the low pay that comes with apprenticeships as I have savings which will sustain me for a while, but I am concerned that finding an apprenticeship at 47 could be a challenge.

What's the generally held wisdom on routes in to the industry for old timers like me?

Thanks in advance!

Jon

Are you still working in a different career/ trade?

No. I've been running the family care home business until recently when we sold it.

I'm fairly comfortable with practical matters, when we had the care homes I took charge of maintenance. Basic plumbing, carpentry, bathroom fitting, carpet fitting, etc. are necessary skills in a care home because if a bedroom becomes vacant you can't wait for a plumber to 'move that radiator onto the other wall'. But I never really got involved with electrical work because of the obvious safety / liability issues in a business - I'd go as far as replacing a broken faceplate and PAT testing.

So, about two years ago we closed the care home business and sold the buildings to housing developers. We'd hit a perfect storm of government austerity and the realistaion that our Victorian buildings just weren't up to the task any more. The practical maintenance side of the work was the only part of the business that I actually enjoyed!

So, here I am at the tender age of 47 looking for a new start!

You do not need to do an apprenticeship. What you need is to get a job within the industry as an electrical labourer or electricians mate. Complete your level 2&3. This will give you a couple of years experience on site. You can then sign up for the NVQ which will take up to a year dependant on how diligent you are and then you can sit the AM2. At some point you will have to do the 2382 18th edition wiring regs exam.

No. I've been running the family care home business until recently when we sold it.

I'm fairly comfortable with practical matters, when we had the care homes I took charge of maintenance. Basic plumbing, carpentry, bathroom fitting, carpet fitting, etc. are necessary skills in a care home because if a bedroom becomes vacant you can't wait for a plumber to 'move that radiator onto the other wall'. But I never really got involved with electrical work because of the obvious safety / liability issues in a business - I'd go as far as replacing a broken faceplate and PAT testing.

So, about two years ago we closed the care home business and sold the buildings to housing developers. We'd hit a perfect storm of government austerity and the realistaion that our Victorian buildings just weren't up to the task any more. The practical maintenance side of the work was the only part of the business that I actually enjoyed!

So, here I am at the tender age of 47 looking for a new start!
Purely out of general interest... was it the case that your costs in running the care home went up, or that the value of the buildings as residential went up ?

I ask because you hear alot about care homes closing... but you never get to hear about the reasons why...

Purely out of general interest... was it the case that your costs in running the care home went up, or that the value of the buildings as residential went up ?

I ask because you hear alot about care homes closing... but you never get to hear about the reasons why...
think the clue is victorian building/s. cost of bringing them up to government requirements would be prohibitive.

Jeez, where do I start? The problems in the care home sector are legion!

Here goes...

We were a NURSING home which is somewhat different to regular care home in that we had to employ NURSES and care assistants. So we needed at least one nurse on duty round the clock. Nurses are healthcare professionals who are in demand in the NHS as well as the private sector. As a private sector business we have to compete with the NHS for nurses, we just could just about keep up with NHS pay but we were left dead in the water when it came to other benefits (sick pay, annual leave, maternity, etc.). As a result we just couldn't fill our Nurse vacancies. Gaps in our nurse cover were filled by agency nurses on ridiculous hourly rates (we paid £158 per hour for an agency nurse on Christmas day last year!).

I think most homes feel they aren't paid enough by the Local Authority for the people in their care. Typically 70% of our turnover goes out in staff wages which leave precious little for anything else.

I'll leave it there because I can feel my blood pressure rising!
[automerge]1571664132[/automerge]
You do not need to do an apprenticeship. What you need is to get a job within the industry as an electrical labourer or electricians mate. Complete your level 2&3. This will give you a couple of years experience on site. You can then sign up for the NVQ which will take up to a year dependant on how diligent you are and then you can sit the AM2. At some point you will have to do the 2382 18th edition wiring regs exam.
Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to hear! That seems a much better route in than trying to find an apprenticeship. Would that be the same as an Electrical Improver?

labourer is unskilled help. spark's mate is partly skilled/ experienced/qualified, but working under supervision. improver is just a step up.

Jeez, where do I start? The problems in the care home sector are legion!

Here goes...

We were a NURSING home which is somewhat different to regular care home in that we had to employ NURSES and care assistants. So we needed at least one nurse on duty round the clock. Nurses are healthcare professionals who are in demand in the NHS as well as the private sector. As a private sector business we have to compete with the NHS for nurses, we just could just about keep up with NHS pay but we were left dead in the water when it came to other benefits (sick pay, annual leave, maternity, etc.). As a result we just couldn't fill our Nurse vacancies. Gaps in our nurse cover were filled by agency nurses on ridiculous hourly rates (we paid £158 per hour for an agency nurse on Christmas day last year!).

I think most homes feel they aren't paid enough by the Local Authority for the people in their care. Typically 70% of our turnover goes out in staff wages which leave precious little for anything else.

I'll leave it there because I can feel my blood pressure rising!
[automerge]1571664132[/automerge]

Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to hear! That seems a much better route in than trying to find an apprenticeship. Would that be the same as an Electrical Improver?
Thanks for that... very interesting...

Well that's a sorry tale. I know that the NHS nurses in the surgeries are desperate to keep their patients as independant as possible in their own houses, I assume to keep their costs down too.
Back on track
Working for somebody else in the trade while doing evening class seems a sensible option. You never know after 3 years of lifting floor boards, cutting chases, plastering and finally some wiring, you may find that other priorities take over. You will still be keeping your options open.

£158 phr ! I think you would be better of retraining as a Nurse not an Electrician.

There's lots of good advice dotted all through this forum as answers to people in similar position to you. Have you tried the electrician you used when you ran the care home.

£158 phr ! I think you would be better of retraining as a Nurse not an Electrician.

There's lots of good advice dotted all through this forum as answers to people in similar position to you. Have you tried the electrician you used when you ran the care home.
That's just what the agency took - no idea what the nurse was getting, £50 an hour perhaps?

Yes, I've been in touch with our spark - he's on holiday at the moment but he's suggested we meet up when he's home. He's a good egg, we were one of his first customers when he started out on his own a few years ago.

FWIW I’m 55. About 3 years ago I did a ‘fast track’ course over a number of weekends .. Logic Certification, 17 Edition 2382 and 2394/5 inspection and testing/initial verification etc. This was enough to get approval to do domestic notifiable work with one of the scams. I’ve gradually been building up experience doing basic domestic work but still, ideally need to work with an experienced spark, although I’m gradually building up a local client base. Last year I also completed L2 2365 at local college via night class and updated 2382 to 18th. I want to progress on to L3 and AM2 eventually. The short course served a purpose but the one I did was very poor and I wouldn’t recommend the provider....there are others. Good luck.

Hey! I quit my horrible office job last year, went off to TradeSkills4U to do the domestic installer course, and have been working as an ‘improver’ with other local sparks to build up my knowledge and experience.

Your age won’t be a negative (I’m 40) as long as you are fit enough to hump and dump tools and materials, and can squeeze into small spaces (loft hatches, under stairs cupboards, sometimes completely under the floor boards!). Call around the local sparks (check a trade is a good starting point) and ask if anyone needs some free labour, this soon turns into paid days. Just make sure to turn up on time, with a decent set of starter tools, and be prepared to get dusty and uncomfortable in lofts and small spaces ;)

Working with local sparks means you’ll soon find out what additional courses might be useful, and if you want to consider branching out on your own once you’ve got a bit more knowledge.

After almost a year, I’m still certain it was the best decision I’ve made in a long time

Hey! I quit my horrible office job last year, went off to TradeSkills4U to do the domestic installer course, and have been working as an ‘improver’ with other local sparks to build up my knowledge and experience.

Your age won’t be a negative (I’m 40) as long as you are fit enough to hump and dump tools and materials, and can squeeze into small spaces (loft hatches, under stairs cupboards, sometimes completely under the floor boards!). Call around the local sparks (check a trade is a good starting point) and ask if anyone needs some free labour, this soon turns into paid days. Just make sure to turn up on time, with a decent set of starter tools, and be prepared to get dusty and uncomfortable in lofts and small spaces ;)

Working with local sparks means you’ll soon find out what additional courses might be useful, and if you want to consider branching out on your own once you’ve got a bit more knowledge.

After almost a year, I’m still certain it was the best decision I’ve made in a long time
Hi Darren, that's good to hear. Glad all is working out for you. I'm already on it with local sparks - I know quite a few. But I've been keeping my plans under the radar until now because I wanted to be sure that this was what I wanted before I 'came out of the closet'.

I'm 6'3" so I'm never going to make it as a tunnel rat. Having said that I've spent the afternoon under my floor pulling a cable for garden electrics to my Consumer Unit.

Well done for quitting the office job and taking the leap, it takes guts to do that. Respect!

Reply to New career @ 47? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock