Discuss new minor works certificate for a fused spur in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You correct to draw an analogy with rewireable fuses and such like. That’s perhaps why they have been made obsolete
They haven't been made obsolete. Here's table 41.2, that includes max Zs for both 3036s and 1362s to meet 0.4s disconnection times:

maxzs.png

Its the use of the fuse to achieve disconnection times I think is wrong. If the additional cable is too small or too long, then a different design should be used, not reliance on a fuse that can inadvertently changed, causing a danger to the end user.
Do you feel that it is okay to use these fuses as protection against overload?

Of course they have a table, but are they manufactured anymore? Only because Appendix 15 uses them as such.

My point is, it’s a poor design, to use to achieve disconnection times.

We can go on arguing the point, but guess we should agree to disagree.

Of course they have a table, but are they manufactured anymore? Only because Appendix 15 uses them as such.

I think the problem is it is difficult for us to understand.

Fuses have been and still are a valuable method of protection still used throughout the industry for both overload and fault current protection.

This is especially the case in industry where the higher fault currents and "stacking" of devices make fuses much more suitable than mcbs/mccbs - although this gap is closing.

They are still used as the main protection in the home for the incoming service, and at the other end - fcus, plugs, and internally in many pieces of equipment.

So I do find it difficult to understand your objections in this particular case. (No disrespect of course, just struggling to understand it)

I actually could/do understand the opposite view - certainly I am still somewhat doubtful about the suitability of mcbs rcds etc as these are mechanical devices which can stick, fail to trip etc (and do on occasion) and other than the explosive charge failing at MV , fuses just don't fail to operate.

Even to this day, I feel more confident relying on fuses than mechanical devices for protection.

I could understand your point of view if you said 'I don't like any user replaceable fuses as replacing them with one of the the incorrect rating would compromise all protection that they are intended to provide'. This would make sense (but would be impossible to work to in practice, as it would prohibit BS1363 plugs and sockets).

What I don't understand is why you find them acceptable for one type of protection (overload), but not another (disconnection times).

I think the problem is it is difficult for us to understand.

Fuses have been and still are a valuable method of protection still used throughout the industry for both overload and fault current protection.

This is especially the case in industry where the higher fault currents and "stacking" of devices make fuses much more suitable than mcbs/mccbs - although this gap is closing.

They are still used as the main protection in the home for the incoming service, and at the other end - fcus, plugs, and internally in many pieces of equipment.

So I do find it difficult to understand your objections in this particular case. (No disrespect of course, just struggling to understand it)

I actually could/do understand the opposite view - certainly I am still somewhat doubtful about the suitability of mcbs rcds etc as these are mechanical devices which can stick, fail to trip etc (and do on occasion) and other than the explosive charge failing at MV , fuses just don't fail to operate.

Even to this day, I feel more confident relying on fuses than mechanical devices for protection.
I think me and other member were discussing rewireable fuses? I’m not very confident in them.

I could understand your point of view if you said 'I don't like any user replaceable fuses as replacing them with one of the the incorrect rating would compromise all protection that they are intended to provide'. This would make sense (but would be impossible to work to in practice, as it would prohibit BS1363 plugs and sockets).

What I don't understand is why you find them acceptable for one type of protection (overload), but not another (disconnection times).
The addition should be designed around the ocpd at the origin. Take your point about overload, but isn’t disconnection about in part safety to individuals?

The addition should be designed around the ocpd at the origin. Take your point about overload, but isn’t disconnection about in part safety to individuals?

I still go back to my points above, why is a fuse downstream of something ok normally, but not in this case of a 13A style fuse.

The ocpd at the origin is really the incoming (80A bs88) fuse, do we need to ensure all circuits out of the cu operate this fuse within the 0.4s?

Or do we ensure that the ocpd for each circuit is the one to operate in 0.4s?

Obviously we prefer that the downstream ocpd operates first to give selectivity, if this fails and the bs88 fuse goes anyway that's great - but this latter bit doesn't have to operate in 0.4s like the circuit ocpd.

A downstream fuse for the circuit ocpd is just the same, I would much prefer the fuse (plug or fcu) to operate ahead of the circuit ocpd, and that to operate ahead of the incoming bs88 fuse.

Providing each ocpd disconnects within a suitable time for the section it protects - to me that is ideal

The 13A fuse ensures 0.4s downstream of it.

The circuit ocpd ensures 0.4s downstream of itself at least to the 13A fuse (further is not always a bonus, because it could hurt selectivity)

The incoming bs88 fuse ensures 5s downstream of itself at least to the circuit ocpds (further is not always a bonus, because it could hurt selectivity)

I just can't see any disadvantages hence why I am struggling with your reasoning, if I understood, it could change my viewpoint.

I’ll try to be more succinct. The 1362 fuse can be changed easily. If a lower fuse is used to achieve disconnection times, and is subsequently changed to a higher fuse, then its a poor design.

As said, I think we should agree to disagree.

I’ll try to be more succinct. The 1362 fuse can be changed easily. If a lower fuse is used to achieve disconnection times, and is subsequently changed to a higher fuse, then its a poor design.

we put a label on max fuse size blah take pic covered job done?

Long time resurfaced thread!
expanding on your idea,
every device powered by a U.K. plugtop could be considered a design failure (other than 13A appliances) as the fuse protecting it could be changed.

Long time resurfaced thread!
expanding on your idea,
every device powered by a U.K. plugtop could be considered a design failure (other than 13A appliances) as the fuse protecting it could be changed.
But a plug ‘top’ BS1362 fuse is not protecting fixed wiring is it, so perhaps not a good analogy.

Reply to new minor works certificate for a fused spur in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net