Discuss New NHBC guidance for fire rated downlights / hoods in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
For many years the market for fire rated downlights has been highly confusing with many manufacturers making claims but not always having the technical data to back up these claims.
The NHBC has just launched new guidance to cover the use of fire rated downlights which makes it very clear that only correctly tested products can be used in the type of floor construction in which they are being fitted.
Specific reference is made to the type of joists being used as light weight joists are now the norm for many types of construction and these need different tests to the old solid timber joists.
http://www.nhbc.co.uk/Builders/Prod...uidanceDocuments/64/filedownload,84608,en.pdf

Take care to make sure what you are fitting is correctly tested.

I always fitted fire rated down lights whatever, although some on here suggest its not necessary in single fire zones, i.e. a domestic dwelling.

Or are you talking of the specific type testing of a 'fire rated' luminaire?

I always fitted fire rated down lights whatever, although some on here suggest its not necessary in single fire zones, i.e. a domestic dwelling.

Or are you talking of the specific type testing of a 'fire rated' luminaire?

The new guidance refers to "intermediate floors" above and below 5M and refers specifically to recessed fittings.

And that we are still allowed open stair cases in homes ....
I’m not 100 percent certain why but on a new build I’ve recently done the choices were to encase the stair case so it had a doorway or put a sprinkler system in on the staircase. They opted for the sprinkler system and kept it all open. There were 3 floors in total. From what I believe a 1st floor widow can be used as a fire escape but anything above 1st floor a window can’t be classed as a fire escape so if you have a loft conversion done or build convert a house that has more than ground and 1st floor then the stairs is the sole means of escape so the immediate rooms that are accessed from the sole means of escape have to be fire doors.

Strange how there is no restrictions on the use of plastic vent grilles and pipe
Totally agree, however I have recently been involved in fire tests (using metal web joists)which involved other types of ceiling penetration such as fans and air valves and would assume that the same will happen to them as it has to the recessed lights, same applies to soil pipes which run vertically through floors.

They are protected or unprotected stairwells :D

Unless a very specific circumstance, there should be no real reason why anybody is using non-fire rated fittings nowadays surely

I thought the days of the nasty 12v open backed halogens were well and truly over with

I don't know but I've been told...………...its about premature collapse of structural lumber.
you mean that new builds have undersized joists, spaced to far apart, construction done as cheaply as possible to barely meet safety standards? well, i'll go to our (solidly built) stairs. :D:D:D:D.

I wouldn't waste any time worrying about the NHBC....they are are a ridiculous and worthless entity,with no power or interest,in the things you would consider that they should be concerned with.

.....They do a thriving trade in stickers,though...

NHBC rules .............. ha ha ha

About as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

They need to spend more time holding builders to account for constructing mikey mouse houses full of faults

NHBC rules .............. ha ha ha

About as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

They need to spend more time holding builders to account for constructing mikey mouse houses full of faults

Just dont put those non fire rated recessed lights anywhere near that chocolate fire guard :)

I don't know but I've been told...………...its about premature collapse of structural lumber.
Hi Midwest
You are spot on, as in many areas of construction, regulation has not kept pace with changing practices on-site (sometimes leading to disaster). It has been found that modern "light weight joists" are much more fragile than solid timber joists in a fire situation leading to premature collapse. This is not only dangerous for occupants but also fire fighters who have to enter a burning building and can have floors collapsing both under them and on top of them if not correctly protected against against fire entering the floor cavity, the performance of recessed light protection for light weight joists thus needs to be much better than previous solid joists.

Reply to New NHBC guidance for fire rated downlights / hoods in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock