Discuss can i use non fire rated recessed fittings? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

leep82

-
Arms
Reaction score
Went to look at a simple job, where the customer wants a number of recessed downlights installed in there bathroom replacing their existing fitting. They have bought their own 'B&Q special' fittings although they are not fire rated, and as i normally like to fit fire rated downlights i was after some advice. The building is an old cottage and the construction of it means there is no access directly above the bathroom ceiling. After cutting a number of holes into the ceiling for the run of my cables i can see i have a void of approx 150mm where the joists meet the plasterboard ceiling and the outside rooftiles. My question is can i get away with using the non fire rated fittings in this instance. Ive read on other threads if there is an occupied room above that fire rated downlights must be used i dont have that situation, but was wondering whether a void over a certain size must be covered aswell.

you are OK with non fire rated fittings, but from your post, i'd be sure to be fitting LEDs. less heat dissipation required than halogens, apart from the long life and running costs.

No you don't need fire rated fittings if there is no habitable room above , but like you say it is a good thing to use in all circumstances really , why not use fire hoods if you want to use existing fittings and are unsure about the circumstances , I must admit I always prefer to use fire rated myself , the main thing for you to consider is the I/P rating within the bathroom,

The fire rated down lights protect the ceiling you have cut the holes through so in the event of fire it seals the holes if there are rooms above they have to be fire rated or you can use a fire hood but they can be a pig to fit , personally i would get the customer to return them and get fire rated ones , I now refuse to install halogen down lighters this is due to the number of fires and close calls damaged cables etc , my personal feelings so its LED all the way for me Deltec 9 watt are the best in my book

The customer has bought LED fittings which i did recommend. I considered using a fire hood but thought i might not have enough room to fit them over the fittings. Is there a minimum size void above a ceiling where fire ratings dont have to be used? If there was a huge loft space i would use fire rated fittings but generally that space above isnt occupied so how necessary is this?

The customer has bought LED fittings which i did recommend. I considered using a fire hood but thought i might not have enough room to fit them over the fittings. Is there a minimum size void above a ceiling where fire ratings dont have to be used? If there was a huge loft space i would use fire rated fittings but generally that space above isnt occupied so how necessary is this?

No problems at all regarding size of the loft , only ruling is if it a habitable room , thats all,,

The only other thing I suppose is , if there was a thatched roof,,,

I rang the NIC helpline to ask this question the other day, straight away they said that the down lights MUSt be fire rated, i was carrying out a EICR and down lights on the ground floor all over the place 12v halogen and also 14 odd on the 1st floor, no loft conversion, but they are thinking of it in the future, i would not install nothing else but fire rated LED now, the Aurrora sola 9w is the dogs go nads, IP65 rated dim them with no hassle with the Aurora Led dimming module

As I said , personally I would always fit fire rated , Just recently I have been getting JCC led 7s for £23 +vat from Denmans They are I/P 65 rated as well , most people seem to like cool white , have been fitting quite a few lately,

Honestly please please try the Aurrora sola's if you have not already, I'm getting them for £19.68 plus vat, the detachable plus is a dream to fit use my 10.8v bosch, can fit 6 in about half hour, done hundreds now and not had to take 2 back, 7 year guarantee, cool and warm, really nice looking fitting, aurora have been brought out by en-lite now i believe or are manufacturing for them, but the lights are exactly the same, and at that price you can grumble!

- - - Updated - - -

detachable plug* geared up for 3 plate aswell

Honestly please please try the Aurrora sola's if you have not already, I'm getting them for £19.68 plus vat, the detachable plus is a dream to fit use my 10.8v bosch, can fit 6 in about half hour, done hundreds now and not had to take 2 back, 7 year guarantee, cool and warm, really nice looking fitting, aurora have been brought out by en-lite now i believe or are manufacturing for them, but the lights are exactly the same, and at that price you can grumble!

That is a bloody good price ,
I am after 12 for a couple of jobs , coming up , I fitted some Sola i7s over year ago and I paid £28 +vat ,where did you get them ?.

- -

Just the lamps but I've just ordered 200 x 3w LED's for a showroom. Only need 185 but ordered more for breakages and I also want 5 for my bathroom LOL :rofl:

E-mail from the IET last week about a book on LED's? Is it worth getting? Has any one bought it and is it useful???

Reply to can i use non fire rated recessed fittings? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net