Discuss New regs for Mini Trunking in escape routes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

aaelectric

are hallways classed as escape routes or bedrooms etc. not very clear on what rooms this will come under. what fixing can you get to go in mt2 trunking with 6mm as there is not a lot of space. also are these regs applicable now or is it when 18th edition comes out. all bit confusing. what about if trunking is fixed to wall and not to ceiling?

New regs aren't applicable until the enforcement date and beyond.
Unless the customer specifies it earlier.

You can't have an escape route through a room, only from it into passageways, hallways, stairs etc.
Manufacturers are already bringing out add ons to meet the regs, no doubt trunking will be catered for.

read again

Implementation Dates:
1st January 2015 -

The Third amendment to BS 7671:2008, The IET Wiring Regulations, became effective on this date. Following this, contractors have a six month transition period to get up to speed with the changes and can design, install and certify to either the new or previous standard.

1st July 2015

– From this date it is a requirement that all electrical installations designed and periodically inspected comply with the updated regulations. Contractors will be expected to hold a copy of BS 7671:2008, incorporating Amendment 3, for any assessment visit taking place after this date.

1st January 2016

– Regulation 421.1.201 (PROTECTION AGAINST FIRE CAUSED BY ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT) comes into full effect.

the change involving escape routes comes into force in july whether you like it or not

Could be worse, the BS5839, has been installing supported cables for years....this is where 7671 has followed from.

are hallways classed as escape routes or bedrooms etc. not very clear on what rooms this will come under. what fixing can you get to go in mt2 trunking with 6mm as there is not a lot of space. also are these regs applicable now or is it when 18th edition comes out. all bit confusing. what about if trunking is fixed to wall and not to ceiling?
best bet is to use spiral band or p clips when the reg comes out

Thanks Tazz, useful link.

Do you, or anyone else, know if these are usually a stock item at Eddy's? Got some 6mm in trunking to do next week and these clips look spot on.

Have just Googled them and Screwfix list them but they are all out of stock up here.

This is one reg change I am more than happy to follow, I know fire fighters often turn into kev kitchen on their days off but they certainly don't deserve to get tangled up in cables and die.....

EDIT just checked Dline website and eddy's are listed as a stockist.

Last edited:
Our main electrical contractor orders through Edmundsons. We use clips on mt2, but any bigger trunking such as 4x4, we use Perforated steel banding, to hold up multi cable runs. Will take some site photos tomorrow to show both methods.

The d line look perfect for getting 6mm in MT2 easily. P clips I think I would struggle with. I use PVC coated galv band also occasionally. Cheers fella

You will never get a p click in mt2, there physically too big...Our sparks use another make than D line, but there just the same clip. Will get info for you tomorrow

Over the years I must have squeezed thousands of p clips into 16x25 trunking. Those D clips would have saved me so much hassle !

Over the years I must have squeezed thousands of p clips into 16x25 trunking. Those D clips would have saved me so much hassle !
use this mate,

swa_arb12-p3-bl_5ed0c5da3c3044ac75ba6259018095f5.jpg

cut it with your snips and fix it, job done

SWA 12mm All Round Fixing Band Black PVC Coated (3m Roll)

Reply to New regs for Mini Trunking in escape routes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net