Discuss new smoke regulations in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, been quoting for a lot of smoke detection upgrades for landlords. Had a look at a job today that has an open plan kitchen/living room, does anyone know what is required here? Going to have a google once the kids are in bed, just thought I'd ask the question!

What is required by Law?
In England,for rented properties, possibly Wales too, 1 smoke alarm/detector on each floor.
They dont have to be interlinked, or mains powered, so a plain £5 battery powered SA from B+Q is acceptable.

Scotland, it is different, interlinked, and alarms in each room that are commonly used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, been quoting for a lot of smoke detection upgrades for landlords. Had a look at a job today that has an open plan kitchen/living room, does anyone know what is required here? Going to have a google once the kids are in bed, just thought I'd ask the question!

Try looking at the Scottish Building Standards. If you're a registered spark you should have a copy. Actually if you are a spark you should have a copy. It's all set out in there.

The minimum requirement for new or rented housing, is Grade D mains with battery backup. England and Wales minimum category is LD3, where as Scotland, Ireland and Republic or Ireland is LD2.

What is required by Law?
In England,for rented properties, possibly Wales too, 1 smoke alarm/detector on each floor.
They dont have to be interlinked, or mains powered, so a plain £5 battery powered SA from B+Q is acceptable.

Scotland, it is different, interlinked, and alarms in each room that are commonly used.

Yes thats correct for only England BUT you must check what type of property it is and if that property requires a licence.

HMO is grade D, A, or B......Rented or new housing Minimum Grade D....private or ownership only for grade F battery, Housing act & Part 6 2013

Reply to new smoke regulations in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net