Discuss NHBC & dodgy electricians in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
What is you guys views on dodgy electrical installations undertaken by well known electrical companys?

I have recently been to a 3 year old house in Devises under insurance job to sort out some downlights that were installed by a professional electrician working under a well known company in the wiltshire area.
The home owner was complaining that the downlights didnt fit in the ceiling properly and that they were hanging 10mm below and what he thought was a loose / sloppy fit...

There were four areas

Kitchen: the downlights were poorly terminated with copper showing & no effort to use the cable support, hanging low with sloppy fit & insulation let on top with no effort to cut arround the lights (i know the insulaion is not the electricians issue)

Bathroom: Again poorly terminated, insulation on top of the fitting with also a butchered roof joist to try and make these fit

Onsuit 1: Again poorly terminated fittings with insulation on top of the fitting

Onsuit 2: there was only 1 downlight to fit in this bathroom and they still managed to cut the hole right next to the joist leaving no gap what so ever oh and shocking termination.

Upon the visit i cut holes in the insulation around 15 downlights, moved 3 away from wooden joists, re-terminated 9 & caused disruption to the homeowners brand new decorated house.. & i only checked lights in 4 rooms. God only knows what the rest of the house is like

I cannot see how the NHBC allow this to be signed off let alone the Electricians who produced the certificate. I know these dodgy people are giving me more work but seriously where do they get there qualiforcations from? Cerial packet

NHBC & dodgy electricians

Unfortunately poor and non compliant workmanship on downlighter installs tends to be a common issue especially where decoration has been carried out directly afterwards leading to the client preventing any post intrusive inspections. These issues are only uncovered once loss of power or in extreme cases a fire occurs. The general consensus seems to be....'oh i do not want my decor damaged or loft/flooring disturbed for the sake of a spotlight bulb not working'
In very few cases are the correct installation practices / methods employed i.e fire rated fittings or fire hoods.

Big name electrical companies used to be above the rest, so to speak, but those day's like most of the associated professionalism within the electrical industry have long gone. These once prouder than most companies, now employ the cheapest electricians they can get away with.

To be honest nothing surprises me anymore about the standards of work found in the UK!!!
Which is a crying shame....

NHBC & dodgy electricians

Surprisingly it's the bigger companies which nine times out of ten is where the dodgy workmanship occurs due to the need to cut corners to maximise their profit margins. I have lost count of the number of jobs i have seen where regulations have been ignored or certification has been blatantly fabricated just to maximise and speed up payment. It just begs the question how effective these governing organisations within the industry actually are.

Re: NHBC & dodgy electricians

It just begs the question how effective these governing organisations within the industry actually are.

That's another problem, these organisations THINK and ACT as if they are governing bodies, but in reality, they are most certainly NOTHING OF THE SORT!! There is nothing much effective about them, if anything they are one of the main reasons that standards have and will continually decrease, ....It's all about shareholders and money, nothing much else matters!!

Does the customer have any sort of warranty with this company (Scheme) as this subject was raised a few days ago.

If so it would be good to see what response they receive.

Sent from my Poloroid 3326672

Theres a company near me that employ alot of electricians, and i've never seen or heard of anything serious like the OP has said but ive seen Cables not clipped, trunking not cut straight, copper showing at connections on a regular basis .... stuff like that doesn't take a genius to sort properly and although it's trivial it does annoy the hell out of me. Sloppy work is just as bad, don't understand why people can't do the job properly in the first place - if they were doing the work on their own gaf im sure it would be done properly.

Re: NHBC & dodgy electricians

That's another problem, these organisations THINK and ACT as if they are governing bodies, but in reality, they are most certainly NOTHING OF THE SORT!! There is nothing much effective about them, if anything they are one of the main reasons that standards have and will continually decrease, ....It's all about shareholders and money, nothing much else matters!!
well.....you have only to walk down the street somewhares (pick any town).....and just observe the goings on.....full of `important` sounding people....and street `supervisors` going round in blue overcoats that are 2 sizes too big for em....to make em look all `official`....there everyware.......but no real power......its just a front...its fake....it isn`t enforcable..well, most of it anyway.....
god, the levels that some will stoop to in order to feel `special`....
talk about selling your soul...

I was working at a house yesterday doing a few extra sockets and stuff. When I told the customer I needed to check the CU and bonding etc she said "it must be all ok as it is only 2 years old and signed off by NHBC". Needless to say I politely toldl her I wouldn't trust the NHBC as far as I could throw them :)

To be fair, it was all ok but you have to wonder at a 2 year old house with cat5e and TV sockets in every room but only 2 sockets in a 15foot by 25foot lounge! :mad2:

Still, gives me work I guess........

Reply to NHBC & dodgy electricians in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net