Discuss Nuisance tripping of kitchen lights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I think I know the answer to those one but thought I’d throw it out there in case I’ve missed something...

4 x LED low voltage downlights in kitchen.
Fed from MEM 6A trip

MCB nuisance tripping.

I’ve changed lamps, switch and breaker to no avail. Can’t reach any transformers or JBs in ceiling and it’s a lovely plastered ceiling with no access. Flat is not brand new but not very old either.

I’m presuming it’s most probably an IR fault or bad connection in ceiling?? If so it could be a nightmare fix.

Any other ideas or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

I went to site to replace a bathroom door lock, kitchen kickboatds and a couple of other handyman jobs.

The lighting was an add on whilst I was there.

Isolating the other possible causes like swapping MCB and switch etc was to narrow down the offending item.

Sorry my post probably wasn’t clear. It was a 3 gang switch so I swapped circuit to a problem free gang and I then swapped the circuit to an adjacent problem free MCB (same rating of course). Moved everything back to normal as problem persisted.

As the other guys have been indicating, to identify a fault, you have to start at the beginning by testing the circuit itself first. Although, I might be tempted with a quick fix myself :oops:

What actually is the 'MCB nuisance tripping' manifesting itself as, every time lights turned on, to just once in a while?

Only occasionally. At first the client couldn’t get the problem to show but then after persistent turning off and on (which probsbly doesn’t help) they tripped.

They cables only come out about 6” from ceiling so can’t reach any transformers or junction boxes to check connections?

Hi - you have said "nuisance MCB tripping" can you confirm it's an MCB and not an RCD that trips. Have you seen it trip yourself ?

If after doing the necessary testing you find no fault, I suspect the problem to be a high in-rush current when the switch is first made. LED lamps and their drivers do have high but short duration in rush currents and in your case you turn on 4 at the same time.

You could fit one of these:

http://www.cooper-ls.com/sites/coop...eets/cooper-ls-datasheet-inrush-limiter_0.pdf

an inrush current limiter with a rating of 16A.

see also:

ESB AC Inrush Current Limiter 3,6kW ... 48kW CAMTEC Power Supplies - http://www.camtec-powersupplies.com/inrushcurrentprotection_esb.html

Last edited:
PS: Or change LV Luminaires for Mains ones if that is a cheaper solution. In our new kitchen we have 16 Saxby 7W Mains GU10s supplied by a 6A type B mcb all switched on together.

PS: Or change LV Luminaires for Mains ones if that is a cheaper solution. In our new kitchen we have 16 Saxby 7W Mains GU10s supplied by a 6A type B mcb all switched on together.

Given the OP has stated he can't access the transformers, this change over could be tricky!

Reply to Nuisance tripping of kitchen lights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net