Discuss Oak framed garage with plastic water pipe incomer, do I need to bond? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I realise this question has been asked in all sorts of different ways before but I would like your opinions on the following, I have an oak framed garage with accommodation upstairs, the water comes in via a plastic incomer, once in the property (behind the sink) it then connects to a copper pipe for the sink, loo and (electric) shower, should I bond the small amount of copper pipework?

Thanks for any help

D2E

IR test from the MET to the copper pipework. if it's < 22k ohms, then bond it.

There is every chance that those small sections of copper pipe are non extraneous and will not need bonding.

To check that though are you extending the equipotential zone from the house or are you TT the building.

If your extending you will need a long lead to attach to the MET in the house and then IR test the pipework in the garage, if it exceeds 22Kohm then it does not need bonding.

If your TT the garage then you can do it at the local CU,

There is every chance that those small sections of copper pipe are non extraneous and will not need bonding.

To check that though are you extending the equipotential zone from the house or are you TT the building.

If your extending you will need a long lead to attach to the MET in the house and then IR test the pipework in the garage, if it exceeds 22Kohm then it does not need bonding.

If your TT the garage then you can do it at the local CU,

I have TT'd the garage so I will do it from local CU

Reply to Oak framed garage with plastic water pipe incomer, do I need to bond? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Good afternoon one and all. I, like many non-electricians are having issues regarding the need to have domestic water pipes (plastic entry to the...
Replies
Views
Good morning everyone. I’m looking at getting an EV charger installed at my home and the company is requesting that I earth bond my water supply...
Replies
Views
Hi sorry very long one. Please hop to bottom paragraph for short version. I’m just about to refurb bathroom in my 1986 house but bonding always...
Replies
Views
I recently did a load of work making good a poor installation for a friend who just bought a flat. I have some electrical qualifications and 30...
Replies
Views
Hopefully someone wiser than me can help explain some odd measurements I’ve taken at my own home. This is a long read, I’ve tried to give as much...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock