Discuss Outdoor lighting heating in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

jsg_85

DIY
Reaction score
Hi guys

Just wanted some advice.

We wanted to get some lighting, sockets and a infrared heater to our garden gazebo. We have an outside socket currently right next to the gazebo. Could you guys give me some advise on a bit of a wiring diagram on the following, we wanted to have 2 double sockets, 2 led batten lights connected to a double switch and 1 3000w infrared heater (3000W Helios Infrared Bar Heater - https://www.suryaheating.co.uk/3000w-infrared-bar-heater-4230.html), also 1 security light on the outside of the gazebo looking out on to the garden controlled by a switch so we can keep the light on if we wanted to.

The plan is to come off of the outdoor socket currently in place, which is on a ring circuit with a 50a MCB connected to it.

Would it be a case of spur off one of the outdoor sockets to a 6a fuse spur to a double lighting switch to the lights? Then spur off the other outdoor socket to a 13a fuse spur to the heater?

Thanks in advance.

Jay.

Are you sure the ring circuit is protected by a 50A MCB?

Also, is there RCD protection?

Is your outdoor socket using standard three pin plug like the ones in your kitchen or are we talking about industrial type high power plugs?
MKK9733BLU.JPG

If it is a standard domestic one, then
for start, get a competent person to deal with the 50Amp issue, as its unlikely that the plasterer or a gardener who connected ring to outdoor socket to 50Amp breaker have known what he was doing and as such may have made other errors.
What it comes to with gazeebos its a question weather it is permanently fastened.
You will need suitable one of those on a picture above with builtin switch and deal with connecting the rest internally(within gazeebo). When it comes to 3KW items especialy if used frequently it is generaly good to look for a way to avoid using plugs with them and if so you need to make sure they are really clean and consider going industrial again... In mine opinion 3KV rating is too much for domestic socket and standard should lower it

Last edited:

Reply to Outdoor lighting heating in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net