Discuss Panel Lights in insulation... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Does anyone know about how much of a void in insulation is required for lights like these?

Putting downlights in a loft conversion and if I install standard size ones I'll be creating some serious cold spots.

Would’ve matter with leds to be fair as the heat is practically non-existent,but you never know if some lunatic will replace em for halogens...is the ceiling already up? If not just cut a 100mm hole out,if the ceiling is already up you’ll have a job cutting out for the retaining springs as the biggest hole you’ll make is the same size as the lamp cutout....how is the cable run because that does matter?

It's a loft conversion ( not a very good one) 4x2 roof joists and felted ply so only 100mm to play with.

Ouch.. - Just realised what you are trying to do. have to say, cold spots might be the only answer, although as badegg says, you can go pretty tight with LED, although drivers still need a bit of breathing room to prevent early failures.

Reply to Panel Lights in insulation... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi guys Can anyone recommened a decent cable stripper for flat and 3 core cables? Here's a couple ove seen online...
Replies
Views
I am having a flat roof constructed with solar panels over. As it is a cold, vented flat roof I will be having 175mm of Cellotex insulation...
Replies
Views
I have just done my first workout in my new garden gym. I used my fan heater to get the temperature up to around 12°C which I find about right for...
Replies
Views
So I am choosing my downlights and I was looking at the cylinder shaped fire rated downlights. The electrician mentioned look at LED slim recessed...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, hope everyone is doing amazing and getting through this crazy time We’re living through. So I want to see if I’m missing something...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock