Discuss Part F building regs................... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hum ....... where is that stated in BS 7671?

Its not

Therefore its not our problem.
And?
Smoke detectors are certified to bs 5839-6 requiring us to certify to that standard.
It’s not all about bs7671
We are required to fan test and provide certification as required by the NHBC so I’m not sure why you are disagreeing with me?
If we do not provide certification then the house does not pass it’s CML
This is not just a few builds , this is housing sites for the major house builders and is required full stop if it’s in your original price/tendor.

Last edited:
And?
Smoke detectors are certified to bs 5839-6 requiring us to certify to that standard.
It’s not all about bs7671
We are required to fan test and provide certification as required by the NHBC so I’m not sure why you are disagreeing with me?
If we do not provide certification then the house does not pass it’s CML
This is not just a few builds , this is housing sites for the major house builders and is required full stop if it’s in your original price/tendor.

Never been asked for a cert for a smoke detector

Never been asked to test a fan

Never worked on a new build

Never been asked for this on refurb

No wonder people are turning their backs on all this carp

Never been asked for a cert for a smoke detector

Never been asked to test a fan

Never worked on a new build

Never been asked for this on refurb

No wonder people are turning their backs on all this carp
We are required to provide an EIC and a smoke detector certificate attached to the EIC.
And a ventilation certificate stating the location and type of each fan installed along with the airflow m/s as required.
I moved into a new build 4 years ago and received all of the above from the house builder

Your not missing much not doing new builds.
I do a bit but supervise a lot of them and go to site meetings.
They are carp as you say but a major source of work for the company, maybe 60%

We are required to provide an EIC and a smoke detector certificate attached to the EIC.
And a ventilation certificate stating the location and type of each fan installed along with the airflow m/s as required.
I moved into a new build 4 years ago and received all of the above from the house builder

Your not missing much not doing new builds.
I do a bit but supervise a lot of them and go to site meetings.
They are carp as you say but a major source of work for the company, maybe 60%

My new build developer never gave me such a certificate, just left full of mastic'd skirting. I'll be on to them.

My new build developer never gave me such a certificate, just left full of mastic'd skirting. I'll be on to them.
Sorry to clarify I never received a fan airflow certificate, I’m assuming that just goes to the developer, but I’ve got a EIC and a smoke detector certificate

There's certainly a lot of variation in how the regs are enforced between different Building Control Officers, but as you can see in the forum, people certainly are being asked for airflow certificates for new builds.
WRT fixed-flow fans: the issue isn't really adjusting them, it's the install that can cause performance degradation. For a simple straight-out-through-the-wall bathroom extractor, there's not much to go wrong; when you've got ducting through the loft space, then you've got potential issues with type of ducting, number of bends, & all that kind of thing - particularly if other trades have been in behind you. I'm told that's the rationale behind the airflow tests & commissioning notice requirements in the regs - checking the whole fan install, not just relying on the numbers on the side of the box it came in.
It's been my experience that people aren't all that familiar with the rules on this stuff, but it's got a massive effect on the actual airflow the fan can supply. Hence the online course - the information is out there, but it's buried throughout 100s of pages of regs & guidance. I felt that having it in a simple, easy-to-digest form was a useful thing.

Good point on cost visibility, thank you; I'll get that made clearer on the website next week. For a sole trader, the cost is £80 - no other costs. We'll also loan you a free vane anemometer to do your first test with. If your building inspector is asking for an airflow test certificate or commissioning notice, I think it's a reasonable deal for a useful service - if you aren't too worried about Part F at the moment, then just bear us in mind for the future.

Enjoy your weekend, all :)

Hello All,

I can see from the above messages that the responders to this thread are likely to know far more about this subject than me but I have been aware since about 2009 / 2010 that `Building Regulation Part F - Ventilation` requires some `Ventilation` work to be carried out by either a `Competent Person`- a Member of a Competent Persons Scheme [one of which was being run by CORGI at about that time] or direct Notification to the Local Authority Building Control who I am sure would be looking for `Design & Testing` details on all but the most basic Ventilation systems.

Although CORGI no longer run the Gas Register they do run Competent Persons Schemes - `Ventilation` amongst them - and I am guessing that they will have `Training providers` offering Ventilation Courses - from memory a person having taken a `Ventilation` Training Course can call themselves a `Ventilation Technician`.

Competent Persons who are registered on such a Scheme and carry out Ventilation work that falls into the category that has to be Notified to the Local Authority Building Control [does anyone know what is ?] can notify via the Scheme providers in a similar way that Gas Safe Registered Engineers notify via Gas Safe.

And I assume similar to how Electricians notify under `Part P` via whatever Scheme provider you belong to.

I remember thinking at the time [2009 / 2010] does this apply to Kitchen and Bathroom Ventilation Fans / Cooker Hoods ?

I did not have any motive to further investigate exactly what is involved in the Ventilation Training or exactly what `Ventilation` work is required to be Tested.

I have not installed any Open Flue Boilers since then that required Mechanical Ventilation to be provided - that would require the Intake Fan to be electrically linked to the Boiler operation so that in the event of a Fan failure the Boiler could not operate - also depending on the `Air Tightness` requirement of the Building such a Fan would obviously have an effect on that.

I would expect that this form of `Ventilation` work would be subject to `Design & Testing` by a Ventilation Expert and be subject to Notification to the LABC.

As the subject of a `Ventilation Competent Persons Scheme` may come up as required for some Electricians perhaps a Member will investigate further and post some information on the Forum.

Chris

Last edited:

Reply to Part F building regs................... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net