Discuss Part 'P' notification question? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

When I bought my house it had a new gas boiler fitted the year previously with no paperwork or notification. So it clearly still happens even in Gas Safe land.

The house we just purchased back in 2016 had a brand spanking new Worcester Bosch boiler , you guessed it no base safe paperwork.
We Paid a £60 indemnity as our solicitor ‘recommends’ it.
Get boiler serviced and checked on moving in.
No problem

Before purchasing indemnity insurance for unauthorised building works, you should actually find out what it covers you for & what it doesn't.

Prosecution for contravention of building regs is time limited, as is an enforcement notice.

I sold my house last year. There's a legal document you have to sign, asking various questions; extensions or any other building work, ownership of borders (fencing etc), requirements of access for neighbours, installation of gas boilers, etc etc, AND if any electrical installations have taken place since 2005.

Copies of electrical & compliances certificates are asked to be attached to the signed document.

So I guess, if you haven't the appropriate documentation, is when the negotiations start. Or the prospective buyer may decide not to proceed.

Here is another question

My parents have lived in the same house for 45 years

Around 30 years ago they had a massive extension built but have lost any of the plans , hand written and signed paperwork / certs etc

They literally have no paperwork for what is a huge extension

Here is another question

Around 30 years ago they had a massive extension built but have lost any of the plans , hand written and signed paperwork / certs etc

I suspect the buyers solicitor would recommend a survey. LBC could not take any action. Indemnity insurance would probably be worthless in this case.

...I sold my house last year. There's a legal document you have to sign, asking various questions; extensions or any other building work, ownership of borders (fencing etc), requirements of access for neighbours, installation of gas boilers, etc etc, AND if any electrical installations have taken place since 2005...
In reality... most people will just say "No" to all those questions... especially if they don't have the right documentation.

It all forms part of the modern charade system of box ticking...

I recall many years ago... working in a company where the MDs father would come in now and again to saw up and remove surplus pallets. I noticed one day that he was very 'cack handed' with the circular saw he was using... so fearing for his safety (I'm caring like that...) I went over and politely suggested a safer way to do it... I was quickly rebuffed !! He told me that he had a certificate in 'power tool safety'... so therefore knew far more than me about it... I walked away, happy in the knowledge that if he did have a nasty accident, at least he had the correct certificate.

Here is another question

It won't be a problem if it was all done though Building control, it will be registered and BC will issue a copy of the completion certificate.

In fact it may be worth looking into it now.

In reality... most people will just say "No" to all those questions... especially if they don't have the right documentation.

Thats true, but bearing in mind it is a legal document, and you are entering into a legal contract with someone; if things go wrong, you could end up in some form of litigation.

Doubtful for electrical work install correctly. Perhaps not so for poorly or incorrectly installed work, that results in damage or injury.

It is ultimately the home owner who is responsible to ensure building regulations have been complied with.

It won't be a problem if it was all done though Building control, it will be registered and BC will issue a copy of the completion certificate.

In fact it may be worth looking into it now.

There's a requirement for LBC to keep records, but again time limited. Not a problem these days, but I suspect there was no electronic record keeping 30 years ago, unless they've since electronically archived them.

There's a requirement for LBC to keep records, but again time limited. Not a problem these days, but I suspect there was no electronic record keeping 30 years ago, unless they've since electronically archived them.

Will be interesting to see if the extension is still logged with the LBC and how much paperwork still exists

It was built around the early/ mid 80s

Will be interesting to see if the extension is still logged with the LBC and how much paperwork still exists

Has any homeowners, builders, sparkies, anybody, actually had any sort of reprimand for violating part p of the building regs?
only if the work is shoddy, dangerous, or causes injury. even then any prosecution does not include non-compliance with part pee.

So the statistics can be spun 2 ways;

1: It’s been a great success and all work is spot and being carried out by competent sparks.

2: No means of reporting violations and no enforcement

One thing I’d be wary of is paying big bucks for full surveys prior to buying. My current place is an old stone cottage that we’ve just refurbished. Paid £700 for survey but in reality it was full of caveats and did tell me anything really that I didn’t already know. It didn’t however pick up up on woodworm damage floor and roof joists which basically resulted in stripping the house down to just walls and putting a new roof on (pretty basic stuff). So basically I’d paid big bucks for a walk round survey in a glossy brochure full of caveats on things that hadn’t been done. Fortunately the house was priced fairly on its condition and we would have bought anyway, it just forced us to alter plans on extensions etc.

1: It’s been a great success and all work is spot on and being carried out by competent sparks.
Ha ha, look what just flew by :)

D141E6E6-286F-4D6C-A438-B9EAA726F953.jpeg

I can do a search on my local council web site, under building control, to see basic info on a property's build regs etc history. Try yours.

Reply to Part 'P' notification question? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net