Search the forum,

Discuss phases through separate openings in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mick1974

I know you should put all three phases and neutral through the same opening of enclosures and not split them(two in one hole and one and neutral in other).
But i can't find the regulation for this.

as marvo says. it's only with ferrous enclosures that you may get eddy currents. thanks for reminding me. eddy owes me a tenner from a bet.

ah, like market and meerkat. sssimplesss.

Yep- 521.5.1 Ferromagnetic enclosures: electromagnetic effects
The conductors of an a.c. circuit installed in a ferromagnetic enclosure shall be arranged so that all line conductors and the neutral conductor, if any, and the appropriate protective conductor are contained within the same enclosure.
Where such conductors enter a ferrous enclosure, they shall be arranged such that the conductors are only collectively surrounded by ferromagnetic material.

Only in metal (ferrous) enclosures

That's not actually a correct statement!! Drive enough current through an alluminium plate and you will still see circulating currents being produced, not as pronounced as in a ferrous metal situation, but depending on current flow, can still reach detrimental levels!! I always replace all switchboards alluminium gland plates with paxoline (or equivalent) gland boards. Many of our switchboards will be seeing potential loadings approaching 2.5 to 3.2 KA through incoming parallel single core cables!!

I know you should put all three phases and neutral through the same opening of enclosures and not split them(two in one hole and one and neutral in other).
But i can't find the regulation for this.

Its in part 5, but i cant remember the reg either, and it is worded in the usual garb, so not so easy to dig out.

Reply to phases through separate openings in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net