Discuss PIR parallel to Switch makes short circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I have lighting in the bathroom plus an extractor fan. There is one switch for the lights and one switch higher up for the fan. I installed a PIR in the bathroom and wnated it to turn both lighting and the fan in parallel to the switch. I fed the PIR from the fan's permanent F and took the return from the PIR back to the fan's Switched connection+ the switched F on the lighting. As soon as I switch manually I get a short circuit. Has anyone got an idea what the problem is??
Thanks

I'm guessing you have a short circuit between phase and neutral but without pictures it's hard to be certain as to what's happening.

i would suspect that you have connected a black switched L to a black N. (or blues if it's a post 2006 installation).

You may have wired it wrong, can you post wiring pictures/diagram?

When installing wiring may have been damaged when screwing face plates back down etc

Hi, Andy, I have attached the diagram with the PIR addition. I have checked the wiring and all wires are connected correctly. It is only as soon as I switch the light switch on that I get a short. a switched wire.
[automerge]1570710603[/automerge]
I'm guessing you have a short circuit between phase and neutral but without pictures it's hard to be certain as to what's happening.
Here is the diagram

Isolator.jpg Light switch.jpg PIR.jpg Capture.GIF

the PIR will not work as per diagram.

Blue and yellow should not be connected together from the PIR.

I think you need to re think your wiring
the instruction says blue/green (N) and it came connected in the terminal. I can try with blue only to see how it works (these chinese stuff!)

Your profile says qualified electrical engineer.

What have you done so far to validate the functions of the cables supplied with the new pir unit?

Your profile says qualified electrical engineer.

What have you done so far to validate the functions of the cables supplied with the new pir unit?
I have the following qualifications:

BEng
Eng Tech
IEng
C Eng
Master of Business
and DBA, which means Doctor of Business Administration.

Now, I work as a leader, leading International projects! I have not been doing electrical stuff for the past 27 years, and my apprenticeship was in Industrial Automation. We all come across situations, where we are in doubt. I have now tested the PIR and it is faulty. I simply trusted the wiring at first, but the drawing was not correct.

Thanks forum!

EngTech, IEng and CEng are not qualifications they are Engineering Council nominations. Why you would claim the first two if you are a Chartered Engineer (CEng) is rather odd. You've not mentioned which licensed institution you belong to which enables the route to Engineering Council registration.

Last edited:
EngTech, IEng and CEng are not qualifications they are Engineering Council nominations. Why you would claim the first two if you are a Chartered Engineer (CEng) is rather odd. You've not mentioned which licensed institution you belong to which enables the route to Engineering Council registration.
An interesting spanner in the works.

Started Engineering APprenticeship in Denmark, then studied BEng, then moved to Germany and worked there as a project manager for 9 years, then moved to the UK and became IEng, then CEng, then MBA, and then DBA.
One thing I have noticed on this site is that some electricians question people ironically (e.g. when you post a question some start attacking by saying "are you not a qualified enginner"? WHy dont you know this and that, you should blah...blah...blah.

My answer to them is why is this site there?? What are you doing here yourselves?

?????

Started Engineering APprenticeship in Denmark, then studied BEng, then moved to Germany and worked there as a project manager for 9 years, then moved to the UK and became IEng, then CEng, then MBA, and then DBA.
One thing I have noticed on this site is that some electricians question people ironically (e.g. when you post a question some start attacking by saying "are you not a qualified enginner"? WHy dont you know this and that, you should blah...blah...blah.

My answer to them is why is this site there?? What are you doing here yourselves?

?????
institution is IET, but also German and Danish Institutions!

Reply to PIR parallel to Switch makes short circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net