Discuss Planning garage sub-main project in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

40 amp mcb, 10mm 3 core swa, garage Cu, would cover most garage supplies and allow for future upgrades.

If there really is the likelihood of say an Ev point or hot tub, then I would use an SP+N fused connection unit.

But like already said, more information is needed.

Last edited:
Cheers for the replies, much appreciated.

So the db is in the porch on the ground floor (highlighted red) and the first floor pic with red lines is my proposed route going under the floor boards or up into the loft.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230620_184955_Rightmove.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20230620_184949_Rightmove.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 20
I will run the T&E down the wall.either from the loft or from under the floor on the first floor (half way down) into a joint box with the swa which will go to the garage

Attachments

• 20230620_184650.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 19
The right hand side of your board with the lighting MCBs isn't RCD protected and the blank will be a spare way- so subject to a decent Ze you could simply fit an additional matching MCB for the new SWA, but it will have to be glanded properly, possibly into a small metal enclosure to ensure the armour is earthed. EDIT= Ah I've just seen your post stating T&E for the first part of the run, so the SWA can be glanded into a weatherproof enclosure with an earthing nut and lead to the CPCs.

Skip the twin and earth in conduit and run swa straight to board. What is the purpose of the t+e? Looks like part of that board isn’t rcd protected, get an mcb to fit it

Skip the twin and earth in conduit and run swa straight to board. What is the purpose of the t+e? Looks like part of that board isn’t rcd protected, get an mcb to fit it
Well I was thinking twin and earth (e.g. 6mm) would be cheaper and easier to run under floor boards etc.

Tbf I could use that blank space for a 40A MCB to supply the garage couldn't I 👀

Reply to Planning garage sub-main project in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net