Discuss Pricing and checks in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Cj24

Hi I am doing a job round someones house but don't usually work on domestic, the woman wants a new consumer unit putting in and 8 fire rated downlighters, what kind of price do u think is fair and what do I need to check for as in if she has one ring do I need to split so there two rings? Or poss 3 for kitchen ring too, and I know with lighting they use to use one neutral round the whole house so if she has that is this something again I need to alter? And how's best to do that,

No-one can give an accurate answer unless they have seen it.
Work out the cost of materials first, add 20% to cover any extras. Then estimate how long it takes you to complete the job. Then multiply hours by hour rate. That'll give you a rough idea of price.
I'd say 2 days, possibly 3, £250 materials, so £500 - 600 seems about right to me.
Alan.

"One neutral around the house" - only if there's one lighting circuit!

As for the price, you don't say where you are so the pricing will vary and don't forget the CU change is notifiable, as could the downlighters, depending on where they are!

If the house has one lighting circuit now, IMHO I would say that you are under no obligation to change it to 2 or more circuits.

If in doubt call your scheme providers technical support and see what they say.

To split the ring I would take the leg out between the upstairs and downstairs then send two new legs from the board. One up and one down

I'm thinking I'm under no obligation to sort lighting out or split ring but I just thinking for it to be tested n signed off don't they expect two rings n lighting so can be spilt on the two rcd's cus it's a split load board

Reply to Pricing and checks in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net