Discuss Pricing/Quoting jobs - Advice or tips from anyone?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

harrison2987

Hi guys,

I have set up on my own and find quoting jobs a real struggle.

I have quoted for jobs in the past and won them, but wondered if anyone can offer any tips/advice on what to include, or how to price competitively without doing myself out of the job or out of pocket.

I always worry I will either be too high and loose the work, or too low and work for nothing.

An example of a job I am currently in the process of quoting for is as follows:

Rewire -2 up 2 down terraced house consisting of: Front lounge, back open plan kitchen dinner, hall, upstairs bathroom, bedroom 1 and 2, landing.

In total - 13 double sockets, 7 of which require chasing out
4 single sockets high and low level
6 pendants
1 bathroom light
4 1G switches, 2 2G switches, and 1 3G switch
3 TV aerial points
8 spot lights in the kitchen
1 cooker point and 1 low level outlet
Mains smoke alarms (thinking 3, heat in kitchen, optical and ionisation for hall and landing)
1 low voltage fan to be cored in bathroom
6 switched fuse spurs - 1 for boiler, 1 for fan, 4 for kitchen
1 baton lamp holder to go in loft
1 shaver socket
A new 10way C/U with test on installation

What would you say would be a competitive quote on a job like this? Or can you offer any advice on pricing up such a job?

I hope this thread will help any sparks who struggle with quotes etc. and feel more comfortable pricing jobs up.

Cheers!!

Hi guys,

I have set up on my own and find quoting jobs a real struggle.

I have quoted for jobs in the past and won them, but wondered if anyone can offer any tips/advice on what to include, or how to price competitively without doing myself out of the job or out of pocket.

I always worry I will either be too high and loose the work, or too low and work for nothing.

An example of a job I am currently in the process of quoting for is as follows:

Rewire -2 up 2 down terraced house consisting of: Front lounge, back open plan kitchen dinner, hall, upstairs bathroom, bedroom 1 and 2, landing.

In total - 13 double sockets, 7 of which require chasing out
4 single sockets high and low level
6 pendants
1 bathroom light
4 1G switches, 2 2G switches, and 1 3G switch
3 TV aerial points
8 spot lights in the kitchen
1 cooker point and 1 low level outlet
Mains smoke alarms (thinking 3, heat in kitchen, optical and ionisation for hall and landing)
1 low voltage fan to be cored in bathroom
6 switched fuse spurs - 1 for boiler, 1 for fan, 4 for kitchen
1 baton lamp holder to go in loft
1 shaver socket
A new 10way C/U with test on installation

What would you say would be a competitive quote on a job like this? Or can you offer any advice on pricing up such a job?

I hope this thread will help any sparks who struggle with quotes etc. and feel more comfortable pricing jobs up.

Cheers!!
We don't give out prices here unless you tell us your price first.

work out price of materials
work out how long it will take
add a bit more for unseen's
that's your price
i don't worry about being under cut. i price the job to how much i think it will cost and if someone thinks they can do it cheaper good luck to them.

If our struggling to price a job that straight forward, go work for a company and let them do the pricing.

I was hoping for some constructive comments as this thread wasn't aimed at simply helping me, but anyone else who may struggle pricing jobs in general.

Thanks for your brilliant input : /

I was hoping for some constructive comments as this thread wasn't aimed at simply helping me, but anyone else who may struggle pricing jobs in general.

Thanks for your brilliant input : /
Why should we do all the work for you, tell us your thoughts and your estimated price and why, then you will find we will all chip in and help, so try being constructive yourself lol

I would second gutterball's advice above. I always price my jobs by adding up materials and estimating time. Estimating the time comes with experience and knowing your own work pace. It also comes with having a daily/hourly rate worked out before hand that incorporates your wage plus expenses and overheads.

I never find it easier to price by point as it was not the way I was taught, but some guys use it all the time. I find that it can lead to inaccuracies on larger jobs though.

Nobody is going to just spit prices out without some input from yourself, tell us what you would quote, and we will offer up our thoughts.

Nobody is going to just spit prices out without some input from yourself, tell us what you would quote, and we will offer up our thoughts.

Ok fair point,

I would quote around £1935.00

For this price i would be carrying out the following:

- Mains change (10 way board, 8 circuits) and test
- Downstairs ring and upstairs ring - 6 points on each
- Kitchen radial
- Downstairs lighting circuit and upstairs lighting circuit
- 3 mains smoke alarms
- 1 Cooker circuit
- 1 heating circuit for combi
- 3 TV aerial points
- Low voltage fan in bathroom aswell as coring 4inch hole

Will have to do a fair bit of chasing out and lifting up boards etc.

So what do you think? Fair or not?

Ok fair point,

I would quote around £1935.00

For this price i would be carrying out the following:

- Mains change (10 way board, 8 circuits) and test
- Downstairs ring and upstairs ring - 6 points on each
- Kitchen radial
- Downstairs lighting circuit and upstairs lighting circuit
- 3 mains smoke alarms
- 1 Cooker circuit
- 1 heating circuit for combi
- 3 TV aerial points
- Low voltage fan in bathroom aswell as coring 4inch hole

Will have to do a fair bit of chasing out and lifting up boards etc.

So what do you think? Fair or not?
looks good to me, My guess would have been 2k for that, so your in the right ball park in my view.

Yep we are about the same, and like i said, it is not about being obstructive but about meeting each other half way
It is like when i have to do the deed with the mrs, i tell her either do your bit or your getting none of this badboy.:sifone:

Last edited:
looks more like a total rewire from that spec. lived in? all boards and carpets back down every night. i'd be nearer £3000 than £2000, just going by the spec., without seeing the job.

I think the more I quote the better I will be at it and the more confidence I will have in the price I would be putting forward.

I appreciate the input, it's good to know your not a million miles away with a price.

shove £500 on your price at the least.

looks more like a total rewire from that spec. lived in? all boards and carpets back down every night. i'd be nearer £3000 than £2000, just going by the spec., without seeing the job.
it is only a 2 up and 2 down though so not much cable really, a 3 bed semi with a few spots and I would be at 3k as well, unless I misread the list it was only 12 sockets and a 4 room house.

Correct, this is a quote for a full rewire on a 2 up 2 down terraced house.

Empty property, nothing has to go back at night, can make as much mess as I want as its all getting plastered anyway.

With that in mind what do you think tel?

it is only a 2 up and 2 down though so not much cable really, a 3 bed semi with a few spots and I would be at 3k as well, unless I misread the list it was only 12 sockets and a 4 room house.

13 doubles
4 singles
6 spurs
8 lighting points
8 spots
etc etc

£2450 then as a ball-park figure. remember you need to make wages, cover overheads, and make a bit of profit on top.

Reply to Pricing/Quoting jobs - Advice or tips from anyone?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net