Discuss Pride in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ImpededLoop

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
An electrician proud of his trade.

IMAG2060.jpg

...By happy coincidence,my own mother did an exceptional install the same year......still outputting awesome power today! :icon12:

AMICE .....Associate Member of the Institute of Civil Engineers!!

Although i'm sure it must stand for something else, at least i hope it does!! lol!!

Doing a good job, for a fair price.
And being able to earn enough to support your family.
In a world where there are more Qualified Cowboys than Sparkies.
Never use to be that way, but sure is these days.
PRIDE now there's a word from the past.

Always sign and date my panels. Occasional comments too - one time I found someone had made a pigs ear of adding some circuits so I put an arrow pointing at them and a cheeky note saying they weren't my work!

not many give a stuff what it looks like these days its get in fast and get out ,you could look at it this way half hour with trunking, one hour without trunking, i would say 85% of that job would be with trunking

In and out like the SAS , nowadays....
Back then the jobs done when its done ..
Has anyone noticed the old tails that are wrapped in a really neat way..

I often think about what the guys/gals behind the work I've come across were like, and whether or not they're still with us today if the work appears very dated. Never seen any comments left but I like to leave something behind in the hope someone in 40/50/60+ years time maybe, just maybe a guy new to the trade like myself now can crack a smile after ripping my work to bits during a rewire.

Signing and dating work was commonplace in most of the places I’ve worked.

For new equipment.
Three bits of information
Plant reference
Date installed
Initials

Plant reference was quite long as it covered
Plant
Section
Machine
Panel reference
Sub panels etc.
Sometimes associated terminal chambers.
The reference also tied the associated drawing to that bit of kit.

It helped keeping track of equipment failures.

If say you changed a contactor then you would write the date and your initials on it. It all goes to keeping track of what’s going on and helping the next guy.
The information would all be in the plant records but when you’re called to a breakdown it helps to know quickly that the same contactor or whatever failed last week. It sets the alarm bells ringing and you start looking deeper.

One thing it wasn’t used for was to apportion blame. That would undermine the system.

Reply to Pride in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net