Discuss Putting a chandlier up in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys

I need to put a chandlier in my siblings house.

I've taken the old one off. As you can see in the pic.

To put the bracket on do I just make holes in the ceiling white bit.. Or do I need to rip white bit off as the previous bracket was too small and the hole you can see is too small .

Also what kind of drill bit shall I use to make the hole?

Please advice.20230504_165241.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The bracket should be placed on the underside of the white painted ceiling.
40mm woodscrews should be screwed into any solid wood part of the ceiling.
This should be enough for a light weight light.
Anything really heavy should really be fitted by a professional.

Depends entirely on the fixing bracket that's supplied but generally speaking it looks likely that the standard style saddle bracket will span that hole and cover it over when the base gets screwed on - so you'd want to use a couple of decent sized self-tap woodscrews to screw straight into the joist, no drill required.

What’s the bracket look like? You should be able to secure it straight into that joist for a good solid fix.

What’s the bracket look like? You should be able to secure it straight into that joist for a good solid fix.

The hole in the ceiling is too small to get to the wood bit...so I'll have to either drill on the white ceiling.

Or I have to make the hole bigger.

Which one will be best to do ?

Attachments

• 20230504_171424.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 18
The wood seen in the photo is not a joist, but a piece of wood lath. There may be a joist above.
This is the wood.

Is I need to cu into the white bit to make the hole bigger.

Which side would it be better ro start cutting through ?

Attachments

• 20230504_172236.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 18
It really couldn't be simpler, position the bracket with the middle in line with the cable hole but offset so that the fixing holes are under the centre of the visible wood and screw it up until tight and secure. The screws themselves will cut through the plaster as you drive them up into the timber.

It really couldn't be simpler, position the bracket with the middle in line with the cable hole but offset so that the fixing holes are under the centre of the visible wood and screw it up until tight and secure.
Thank you mage. But the bracket is wider than the hole.

Also the distance between ghe fixing holes are 3.5.

The hole in the dealing is only 2.5 inches.

You fit the bracket on the ceiling NEXT to the hole, the bracket is then on the ceiling and when the fitting is connected the base covers the hole when fixed to the bracket.

Ywah mate that makes sense . But what I'm saying is that the holes in the bracket is wider than the hole in the ceiling. So therefore the white bit of the ceiling may need widening.... other wise I won't be able to screw in the wood.

Or alternatively I can make a new hole in the metal bracket to make the gap closer between the foxing holes..in order to not having to cut the white bit of the ceiling... Did that make sense ?

There are wood laths all across the ceiling. The trick is to screw through the white plaster hopefully into a wood lath behind. If the screw doesn't get a fixing, you move the metal strip and try again! By changing the angle of the bracket compared to where I've drawn it, you should be able to screw into the wood you see.
If the light is heavy, you need to find a joist to screw into.
782C056C-6A60-4E32-BA4F-3F2839F05F0F.jpeg

There are wood laths all across the ceiling. The trick is to screw through the white plaster hopefully into a wood lath behind. If the screw doesn't get a fixing, you move the metal strip and try again!
View attachment 107913
I'd turn the bracket 90 degrees to be parallel with the centre of the lath that's visible - although it could be better to spread the weight across two. I hope the OP gets it after all this , thank god there aren't 3 or 4 cables present. :)

I'd turn the bracket 90 degrees to be parallel with the centre of the lath that's visible - although it could be better to spread the weight across two. I hope the OP gets it after all this , thank god there aren't 3 or 4 cables present. :)

There are wood laths all across the ceiling. The trick is to screw through the white plaster hopefully into a wood lath behind. If the screw doesn't get a fixing, you move the metal strip and try again! By changing the angle of the bracket compared to where I've drawn it, you should be able to screw into the wood you see.
View attachment 107913

Oh thanks guys this is brilliant.

I really do appreciate this.

I hope the wood laths will support my chandelier hopefully. It's probably like 7kg weight.

Last edited:
Best to use two lathes.

Putting two screws into the same one can cause it to split.

Ideally, get longer screws and go right up through into the joist. Through plaster, through lathe and a good inch or more into thick wood.

Poke a screwdriver up in the hole at an angle and turn it to find the joist… I’d be surprised if there’s not one there. Old houses always had lights next to joists…

7kg is quite a substantial weight. You might need a helper to hold it up while you make the connections.

Best to use two lathes.

Putting two screws into the same one can cause it to split.

Ideally, get longer screws and go right up through into the joist. Through plaster, through lathe and a good inch or more into thick wood.

Poke a screwdriver up in the hole at an angle and turn it to find the joist… I’d be surprised if there’s not one there. Old houses always had lights next to joists…

7kg is quite a substantial weight. You might need a helper to hold it up while you make the connections.

Oh brilliant mate thanks for that. Justin time before I was going to put the bracket up. The poking technique was really helpful. Now I've drilled in the joist !!!

Just realised the cables are in different colour in there. Twin n earth

I'm assuming the black is neutral , red is live and the earth is its standard colour.

Reply to Putting a chandlier up in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net