Discuss Quick battery question... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DanSwift1988

I'm looking at a set of Bosch drills (GSB and GDR) 18v but they only have 1.3ah batteries. My mates Milwaukee is running 3.0ah.

Am I right in thinking the only difference is run and charge times? Or will the 3.0ah be more powerful? Because if they are more powerful I would rather save!

I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything.

Dan

Am I right in thinking the only difference is run and charge times?

On the face of it, yes.
However as always there's a little more to it.
If you use Li-ions, then the battery life is minimised by fully charging ...then fully discharging ...then fully charging....and so on and so on
Li-ion battery life is maximised if you fully charge, then use about 25% of capacity and then fully charge again. Only use 25% at a time and fully charge each time. Also keep fully charged when not in use.
Oviously, real life usage will vary from day to day, but if you bear in mind how to use them to maximise battery lifetime then you can alter your usage habits accordingly (have some spare batteries and rotate them frequently for example).

Now if you are using 1.3Ahr batteries you are obviously going to use much more of their capacity at once than if you were using 3Ahr ones. So it stands to reason that you will get a better lifetime from 3Ah than 1.3Ahr unless your usage profile is extremely light.

I've recently bought into Makita li-ion 3Ahr kit and frankly wouldn't have anything less now.

I bought the bosch GSB18V with 3 off 1.3ah batteries.

I'd say its down to run time more than power. So I bought a 3.0ah battery of ebay but have found a reasonably cheap source here so I might get another just for the sake of it. I hardly use the 1.3ah batteries now, but will use them for the flip up torch bosch have, oh come to think of it they do last quite well in the GSB18v as that punches holes no problem.

They are new models, li-ion.

The price for the GSB and GDR is £220 which I thought was not too bad but the obvious catch is the batteries.

Thanks for the explanation PC_Electrics I think I will buy the kit, I can always upgrade the batteries in the future when I can afford it / they break :)

True. And as you expand your cordless collection you can always use the smaller batteries for lighter work (radio, torch, screwdriving) and the bigger batteries for heavier stuff.

Dunno! I use this, it takes any Makita battery and has an awesome sound
Makita BMR101 Blue Digital DAB Site Radio

Come on lads it's a building site not a night club, nice bit of kit but can you get the Big Hairy monster (Dave Lee Travers) or the kid (Kid Jensen) on that, but you could on this

images

Reply to Quick battery question... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net