Discuss Quotation Dilemmas in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

IAmSparkytus!

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Struggling a touch at the minute with customers getting work done by “someone they know” and citing our quotations being too expensive as the reason for not going with us.

Visit the sites afterwards and find the standard of work being terrible which obviously isn’t an option for us as a way to save costs so trying to think of other ways.

Every quotation we provide includes LED panel lighting being installed using Klik lighting accessories. We could save the customer £500+ by daisy chaining the fittings instead.

Obviously not as good a job but the customer wouldn’t care and I can’t see where this would be against any regulations other than not being as easy to maintain whereby we would have to switch off multiple light fittings to replace one if ever required.

I’d like everyone’s input on this if possible. Would you stick to your original quotations and methods or offer the alternative as well?

Thankyou and all the best.

Never EVER get hustled. You make the Quote to your standards and that is that. Stick to your Quote.

You can offer a couple alternate quotes with different materails or different install methods ( like you mention doing away with the klik roses and just looping all the lights together )

I learned a long time ago , never haggle and don't do discounts

Thanks for the reply. I always stick to the price given, was just wondering whether people would tend to offer alternative methods or have their one way of doing things and that’s it.

There are a few variables which help me decide on installation methods. Leased building or owned, critical services or not. Existing wiring, i.e.. how far back towards the board do i need to go before getting good,
So i tend to price things based on what would be appropriate for the age and existing condition of the wiring system. Recently done a lighting upgrade and it was a good building, wired in a very good way originally, had some klik already installed, and lights lit production areas, i quoted to extend and re-use the klik rather than daisy chain, which would have been quicker. So if a light fails, some machines can be kept running whilst a single light is changed.
In another building, access above ceiling was poor, just an office, so lighting not mission critical, best way was to reuse daisy chained wiring.

Thanks for the reply. I always stick to the price given, was just wondering whether people would tend to offer alternative methods or have their one way of doing things and that’s it.
Depends how tight the specification is, it may not be possible to offer alternatives.
If you can though, 'shop around' as loyalty towards your favourite wholesaler doesn't always pay!

Are the customers you refer to people you've done work for on previous occasions or new prospective customers? If they're new prospects then how are they getting your business info? It maybe you're advertising is the wrong places or the advertising itself is attracting the wrong type of customer. For example decades ago, even long before the internet, I removed our contact details from the signage on our company vehicles because it was attracting enquiries from too many of the wrong types of cutomers.

If the customers are just going for the cheaper quote regardless of the quality of work then they were never a suitable fit for your business in the first place. By all means offer them a price for a premium job with premium materials if they're in the market for it but also be prepared to suggest ways they can save money within reason.

If you're relatively new in business it takes years to build up a good customer base that is looking for good quality work at a fair price. Every time you find a customer that fits well incentivise them to personally refer you to their friends and associates who are also hopefully likeminded.

As already mentioned you can also closely monitor your costs including wholesaler prices and discounts as well as your general business structures which will also go toward keeping your prices competitive.

Are the customers you refer to people you've done work for on previous occasions or new prospective customers? If they're new prospects then how are they getting your business info? It maybe you're advertising is the wrong places or the advertising itself is attracting the wrong type of customer. For example decades ago, even long before the internet, I removed our contact details from the signage on our company vehicles because it was attracting enquiries from too many of the wrong types of cutomers.

If the customers are just going for the cheaper quote regardless of the quality of work then they were never a suitable fit for your business in the first place. By all means offer them a price for a premium job with premium materials if they're in the market for it but also be prepared to suggest ways they can save money within reason.

If you're relatively new in business it takes years to build up a good customer base that is looking for good quality work at a fair price. Every time you find a customer that fits well incentivise them to personally refer you to their friends and associates who are also hopefully likeminded.

As already mentioned you can also closely monitor your costs including wholesaler prices and discounts as well as your general business structures which will also go toward keeping your prices competitive.
100% agree... I have never advertised .Its a waste of time in most cases

Reply to Quotation Dilemmas in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net