Discuss R1 and r2 values in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

Hogshaw

If I have an overall resistance can some help me figure out how I would work out just the r2 value??

e.g

a ring final circuit is installed with 4.mm live conductors and a 1.5mm c.p.c if the line loop measures 0.44 ohms, what is expected c.p.c value?

Well you could use the resistance per meter table to work out the length of run for the 4mm cable, then use the same table to work out the resistance of the 1.5mm.

Of course that is purely hyperthetical and not taking into account anything other than the loop.

Are you saying that r1+r2=0.44Ω?

Also this is definitly a ring? and definitely 4mm?

I dont see how you can work this out tbh :s

You would need atleast 2 resistances to work this out in my mind.

To get R1+R2 you have to do L Loop + E loop/4.

You could work out R2 only if you had R1 and the total resistance only but I cant see how you can calculate it with only 1 variable?

Hopfully one of the others can help coz ime stumped, But ile read with intrest :p

You have the line size 4mm and the cpc size 1.5mm, so you know the ratio is 4:1.5, so r2 will be 72.72% of r1+r2... (I think!!)

I'm just not sure what the chap is saying initially, are you saying r1=0.44 or r1+r2=0.44

Think hes saying R1 is 0.44, So going with your idea it would be around 1.17?
This is one of them times if i was in the exam without a calc or a book ide just times it by 3 and pick the nearest number if its multi choice LOL

think his r1 is 0.44, so r2 would be 0.44 x 4.0/1.5 ...i.e. 1.173 ohms.

Tel has given you the answer!
The resistance of a 4mm² conductor is 0.44Ω
What is the resistance of a 1.5mm² conductor.

The resistance of the smaller (1.5mm²) conductor will be greater than the resistance of the larger (4mm²) conductor by a factor of 4 / 1.5 i.e 2 2/3.
So 0.44 * 2.66667 = 1.17.

Reply to R1 and r2 values in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net