Discuss RCBO 'stuttered' tripping when test button is pressed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

swaRRR

Esteemed
Reaction score
Just wondering what this might be.

It was a brand new Schneider RCBO fit into an older Square D board. RCBO fit on the non RCD side. Everything working fine, load is on and pulling. I always press the test buttons on the RCBO's just to check, and this time the switch 'stuttered', sort of fluttered a bit before it went off. Subsequent trip button tests tripped it instantly. I then tried again 5 minutes later and same thing - first attempt was a fluttering, stuttered successful trip, second, third, fourth etc times all went straight away.

Anything to be concerned about? Googled but couldn't find any answers.

Possibly a faulty RCBO. Wouldn't be the first time, even straight out of the box. Or a poor connection somewhere.
How does it behave when you test it with an RCD tester?

Pressing the test button and checking its function is a requirement, there's a box to tick on the schedule of test results for that very purpose sonits good you "always do it, just to check".
Did you manage to do any other testing before your tester packed up or was it a case of switching on and hoping for the best?

Pressing the test button and checking its function is a requirement, there's a box to tick on the schedule of test results for that very purpose sonits good you "always do it, just to check".
Did you manage to do any other testing before your tester packed up or was it a case of switching on and hoping for the best?
😚
Not all the square d boards....still a problem with some of them
Any Schneider breaker with iKQE on it is Square D compatible. Many others are too.

Reply to RCBO 'stuttered' tripping when test button is pressed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net