Discuss Rcd protection office sockets in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

So what do they do when they have a power failure !
The servers will be just fine.

Just divide circuits up.
If they wanted a 24/7 uptime system then he will have to spend lots of money.

When they have a power failure everything goes off. If an rcd protecting the servers suffers a nuisance trip then the servers go off but everything else stays on.
There is a big difference between the two scenarios!

I don't see why you are trying to go out of your way to omit the RCD?
Why do you think that plugging in a server the RCD will suddenly become unstable and keep tripping!
When was the last time your computer at home operated your RCD? im willing to bet never unless it has a fault.

I don't see why you are trying to go out of your way to omit the RCD?
Why do you think that plugging in a server the RCD will suddenly become unstable and keep tripping!
When was the last time your computer at home operated your RCD? im willing to bet never unless it has a fault.

It doesn't have to keep tripping, it only has to do it once to cause a problem.

The server will be feed from a socket, and that socket will need RCD.

Whats the big difference Dave? Server goes off, server gets put back on when power is restored !
Where is this big nuisance problem coming from?

The server will be feed from a socket, and that socket will need RCD.

Whats the big difference Dave? Server goes off, server gets put back on when power is restored !
Where is this big nuisance problem coming from?

The socket doesn't need rcd protection of it is installed for a specific piece of equipment!

The big difference is that in a power cut everything and therefore everyone stops working and liability could be placed with the dno.
If the server goes off but all workstations stay on then everyone still stops working and the liability could lie with the person responsible for such a bad design.

Why are you so dead set against putting a server on a non-rcd supply? It doesn't need rcd protection so why would you install it?

Chaps

Thanks for all the comments and help

Theres no point arguing about rcd protecting a server or not

If you want to then no problem
If other people dont but it complies then no problem either

Dedicated sockets labelled up can omit rcd protection

Not aware that there has been a change in the requirements which now require sockets intended for a specific item of equipment to be provided with RCD protection?
Perhaps someone can quote the Regulation which now requires all sockets to be provided with RCD protection?

There's not Spin, but my point was regarding plugging a server into a general socket with RCD protection.
There seems to be a switch in people's heads that as soon as the word "server" is mentioned they run around like headless chickens and the world as we know it will end.

There's not Spin, but my point was regarding plugging a server into a general socket with RCD protection.
There seems to be a switch in people's heads that as soon as the word "server" is mentioned they run around like headless chickens and the world as we know it will end.

No switch, just an obvious case of poor installation design

Yes servers and printers will be on non rcd sockets and circuits

Pete999 yes the earth leakage is the reason I am asking what people think is the best/halfway solution to avoid tripping
not my regs with me (in hospital) but there are a design for rings and radials,where leakage is an issue, sorry I can't point you in the right direction but it's in there somewhere

I did have a look but couldnt see anything other than circuits should be designed to limit tripping on rcds and about high earth leakage having dual earth path

I did have a look but couldnt see anything other than circuits should be designed to limit tripping on rcds and about high earth leakage having dual earth path

I think the accepted maximum earth leakage associated with a PC is 3.5mA for design purposes. In reality it will be lower than that, but also factor in that in reality a lot of RCDs will trip a good bit lower than 30mA.

I remember reading that equipment that is designed to be on a plug top the maximum permitted earth leakage is 3.5mA. Any equipment that produces more than 3.5mA should be hard wired. Ill try find it.

Last edited:
I'm not anti RCDs, all my 240V cutting tools have had RCD plugs on them for years.
However there does seem now to be this belief that nothing is safe now without one.
The fact is, the Regulations deem them to be just another form of additional protection.
One I might add,that is not acceptable for cables concealed above ceilings or below floors.
One of the problems, is that they require the test button to be operated every 3 months, and I don't know of anywhere where that happens.
Another, is that the 30mA required by the Regulations, is only really suitable for persons of average build and height, with good health. Even then they will not safeguard against other effects which an electric shock can cause, such as falling from a ladder or chair.
Their primary use is for mobile equipment where damage may occur to flexes.
They are not really necessary for fixed appliances such as washing machines, fridge freezers or even servers, which is why there is an exception for such in the Regulations.
They are not ideal for any item of equipment where the intention is to leave it constantly energised, as the test button needs to be operated every 3 months.
I am very anti this new requirement for a documented Risk Assessment.
We have Statutory Legislation, requiring employees to be either safeguarded against dangers electricity may present, or provided with training or supervision to safeguard against such dangers.
This new requirement is effectively calling our clients liars and criminals, requiring them to furnish us with a document stating that they will comply with statutory requirements.

I remember reading that equipment that is designed to be on a plug top the maximum permitted earth leakage is 3.5mA. Any equipment that produces more than 3.5mA should be hard wired. Ill try find it.

543.7.1.201 Equipment having a protective conductor current exceeding 3.5 mA but not exceeding 10 mA, shall

be either permanently connected to the fixed wiring of the installation without the use of a plug and socket-outlet or

connected by means of a plug and socket-outlet complying with BS EN 60309-2.

543.7.1.201 Equipment having a protective conductor current exceeding 3.5 mA but not exceeding 10 mA, shall

be either permanently connected to the fixed wiring of the installation without the use of a plug and socket-outlet or

connected by means of a plug and socket-outlet complying with BS EN 60309-2.

That is the one.

Not sure what size these servers are, but every rack/server we install is on a 32 amp commando plug/socket because I prefer not to use RCD protection for these.

Reply to Rcd protection office sockets in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net