Discuss recommend to replace/upgrade this flush mounted CCU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Wondering what you good people would recommend to replace/upgrade this flush mounted CCU.
Cheers

Attachments

• 419239138_6973282652724791_4070860401901221686_n.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 46
  • 418883142_6973282339391489_8590316381517636171_n.jpg
    487.9 KB · Views: 44
Thinking about it though you could probably re-populate that board to upgrade it 'as-is' but there will be plenty on here who would object...I can almost hear the howls of non-compliance already...

there will be plenty on here who would object...I can almost hear the howls of non-compliance already...
Well I won't be one of them. I would be quite happy to repopulate that DIN rail with a matching set of main switches, MCBs, RCDs, RCBOs, etc, as required, complete with matching busbars, preferably all removed from a new CU that uses flexible links for the neutral connections.
Only things that need to be checked is that the devices project through the cut out in the cover by an appropriate amount and that the neutral links are long enough.

Well I won't be one of them. I would be quite happy to repopulate that DIN rail with a matching set of main switches, MCBs, RCDs, RCBOs, etc, as required, complete with matching busbars, preferably all removed from a new CU that uses flexible links for the neutral connections.
Only things that need to be checked is that the devices project through the cut out in the cover by an appropriate amount and that the neutral links are long enough.

Thinking about it though you could probably re-populate that board to upgrade it 'as-is' but there will be plenty on here who would object...I can almost hear the howls of non-compliance already...
Was thinking about that, but was unsure to be honest.. if I was going to repopulate would it be best to stick with MK as that's the make of the board or would it be ok to use a different make of MS/RCBO/MCBS etc...

I think your main problem is going to be the height of cut out in the front panel, needs to be checked against manufactures dims for RCBO's, MCB etc: may have to look for a new front panel, never know MK may still use the same dims between the fixing screws and position of DIN rail?

Was thinking about that, but was unsure to be honest.. if I was going to repopulate would it be best to stick with MK as that's the make of the board or would it be ok to use a different make of MS/RCBO/MCBS etc...
Only you can decide what is 'ok'..If it was me I would try some modern MK kit first to see if everything fits...mind you the current MK range has very little in common with previous iterations although it looks the same it is now manufactured by others under licence I understand. I would also question the quality and vfm. If that doesn't work for whatever reason, as Brianmoooore says try a matched set from another brand.

I hereby take on the mantle of a howler of non compliance.
If you were to replace all the parts and possibly modify the enclosure to make everything fit, what you will end up with does not comply with the definition of a consumer unit found within the hallowed pages of BS7671. (Page 32 definitions).
You would have a distribution board instead.
Which I'm sure would work perfectly fine.

Reply to recommend to replace/upgrade this flush mounted CCU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net