Discuss Remote control of electric heating away from the property. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Petervale

Please be nice its my first post on the forum. :tongue3:

I have a customer who is currently converting a property to use as a holiday let. He lives 300 miles away from the property and wants to turn the heating on or off while he is away from the property for the holiday makers who visit it. I supply a system that uses KNX but he does not want to go down this route due to expense. Hi is settling for the cheaper range of heating i supply. I have explained that the heating temperature the heating is set at cannot be adjusted but we could use a simple text message system to turn it on and off when holiday makers are at the property. Apparently the signal in the area is weak and he would like a more robust system so he knows it has come on or turned off.

Any advice is much appreciated.

A really long cable from his holiday home, sorry I know it's not what you want to hear, if the mobile signal is ropey, is it bad with all carriers or just the one he's with, the only other option would be broadband, the most basic package he can get of course, my father in law wants to do this with his house in Spain but won't pay for broadband and thinks he can just do it whatever with no connection to the outside world

A really long cable from his holiday home, sorry I know it's not what you want to hear, if the mobile signal is ropey, is it bad with all carriers or just the one he's with, the only other option would be broadband, the most basic package he can get of course, my father in law wants to do this with his house in Spain but won't pay for broadband and thinks he can just do it whatever with no connection to the outside world

He will probably have broadband in the property, so an option. What would be needed from the hub to control the heating. Remember it needs to be cheap as possible.

Honeywell do a system, I think you would e better googling it at there are different systems to suit the budget, all very simple to do to, some can be controlled from an iPhone app. Just look for smart home stuff and you may be able to build a kit as required

I think if you search on google you can get web controlled relays which I've seen people use for controlling lighting but I'm sure it should work for heating as well.

A spark I know recently fitted Farho electric heaters that you can turn on/off remotely. It also has a app to monitor electricity usage. I don't know the price of the heaters but they look really nice.

Hi Petervale,

I could supply you a DTF temperature control unit on/off + room sensor and modem, the user (I use a Nokia phone connected to my laptop with Bluetooth) would need to dial in and change the temperature set point i.e. 25oC occupied 6oC un-occupied/ frost protection.

1 - DTF 318 + room sensor ÂŁ 183.00
1 - MPD Modem....ÂŁ FOC
Operating software free download

All the Best CS.

Heat-Genie are bringing out a system in September just for that purpose, control from any i pad or phone temperature and on/off. Easy to install full kit so you do not have to mess around looking for parts.

Please be nice its my first post on the forum. :tongue3:

I have a customer who is currently converting a property to use as a holiday let. He lives 300 miles away from the property and wants to turn the heating on or off while he is away from the property for the holiday makers who visit it. I supply a system that uses KNX but he does not want to go down this route due to expense. Hi is settling for the cheaper range of heating i supply. I have explained that the heating temperature the heating is set at cannot be adjusted but we could use a simple text message system to turn it on and off when holiday makers are at the property. Apparently the signal in the area is weak and he would like a more robust system so he knows it has come on or turned off.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Heat-Genie are bringing out a system in September just for that purpose, control from any i pad or phone temperature and on/off. Easy to install full kit so you do not have to mess around looking for parts.

2 points:

The OP has stated that the mobile signal is poor

This site doesn't like people using it for advertising unless they are a paid up sponsor

Reply to Remote control of electric heating away from the property. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net