Discuss Removing 3W switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

davie a

Hi all, looking to clarify my thoughts on removing a 3W light switch with a 2W.

Wires within are yellow,2 twisted red and blue. red into common, blue L1 and L2 is yellow. In the new switch I have inserted red back into common, blue into L1 and terminated yellow in block and tucked away. In place of the now removed switch i terminated the blue in a block also and tucked away then connected the 2 twisted red wired and yellow wire together .

Is this the correct method? Everything seems to be working fine.

below is previous switch
CheersView attachment 16412View attachment 16411

Last edited by a moderator:
thud_zps7e337247.gif

Attachment won't work for me

Tried attaching pics again, cheers for input. I can't think of any other way to do this but is there another method that you u can think of?

Thanks again for any help or advice.

IMG_20121229_134544.jpgIMG_20121229_134555.jpg

Yeah I thought that also and that is no longer the case on the new switch. The pics attached are of the old setup and it's the left hand gang I'm querying.

Cheers

No Phase sleaving, bare cores exposed, and I don't like the look of the brown conductor where it nears the PVC of the 6243Y, box over crammed with cables and tatty, otherwise it works so no problem.

I agree, when I saw the box I was concerned over how many wires were with in and the bare cores. This was carried out by the guys who refurbished bathroom as the top wire powers fan. Anyway as I have said the box has been tidied and made safe. I am not a Diyer but also not a spark hence the reason I was just looking for a bit of advice and was under the impression that's was what a forum was for. I'd understand the resistance to help if I was in the arms/professional page or if I was intending to rewire a house but all I am doing is changing a light switch.

Okay well My advise to call out a spark, however if you intend to do it yourself then disconnect and start again, it is very tatty right now, bare cores exposed and no phase markings on different colour cores.

Appreciate the comments and understand you guys concerns, I have tidied the box addressing the bare core issues and now that the second switch has been removed phase makings/sleeves are surly no required? As mentioned the 2 photos are what I found when I opened the switches not after. Cheers

Appreciate the comments and understand you guys concerns, I have tidied the box addressing the bare core issues and now that the second switch has been removed phase makings/sleeves are surly no required? As mentioned the 2 photos are what I found when I opened the switches not after. Cheers

Your original post was saying you are swapping a 3gang switch (or as you call it a 3W) and replacing with a 2gang switch ( or as you call it a 2W) but your photo is of a 2 gang so I'm guessing this is what you have done which IMO is a disgrace

Your original post was saying you are swapping a 3gang switch (or as you call it a 3W) and replacing with a 2gang switch ( or as you call it a 2W) but your photo is of a 2 gang so I'm guessing this is what you have done which IMO is a disgrace

I said removing a 3w switch ie 2 switches and light fitting of circuit with a 2w ie 1 switch and light fitting so removing 1 of the switches and the other switch being replace with a 2w 2g switch. As 1 gang will control hall light and other outside light. Im not sure what your getting at ?

I said removing a 3w switch ie 2 switches and light fitting of circuit with a 2w ie 1 switch and light fitting so removing 1 of the switches and the other switch being replace with a 2w 2g switch. As 1 gang will control hall light and other outside light. Im not sure what your getting at ?

He's getting at the fact that you are a DIY chancer.

No, you have lost me, it would help if you use the correct terminology a 3w switch is a 3way i.e. intermediate switch not 2 switches and what had a light fitting got to do with it ?

- - - Updated - - -

No, you have lost me, it would help if you use the correct terminology a 3w switch is a 3way i.e. intermediate switch not 2 switches and what had a light fitting got to do with it ?

I am a GCH engineer so do have experience with electrics but obviously not at the level you are at. Thanks for your helpful information .

I agree, when I saw the box I was concerned over how many wires were with in and the bare cores. This was carried out by the guys who refurbished bathroom as the top wire powers fan. Anyway as I have said the box has been tidied and made safe. I am not a Diyer but also not a spark hence the reason I was just looking for a bit of advice and was under the impression that's was what a forum was for. I'd understand the resistance to help if I was in the arms/professional page or if I was intending to rewire a house but all I am doing is changing a light switch.

It may be only changing a lightswitch to you but people have died doing less.

Reply to Removing 3W switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net