Discuss Replacing old R80 downlighters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Doomed

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
So what is the best option for a replacement LED unit to cover the old R80 holes - the normal downlighter with the extra wide trim looks awful in my eyes, I have been using the ultra slim surface fittings that have the adjustable bracket to fit any hole, but they still stick out 5 to 10mm.
What do you all use?

you can get a conversation kit ,knightsbourgh do them.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Knightsbridge-HCC-Polished-Chrome-GU10-Light-Convertor-Kit-For-R63-R64-R80-Holes/283520232958?hash=item42031f6dfe:g:4T0AAOSwOwJdCLW-

Last edited:
The converter types just look awful in my opinion.
So as Dusty, fill & re-cut.
Fill the hole with disc of plasterboard & batten, cut new holes.
With care, you can even cut smaller holes in the newly-fitted discs if needed, just have to position the batten carefully.
The ceiling will likely be Artex of this vintage, so the homeowner was going to want it skimmed anyway.

To add, I did once cut discs from a piece of Artex ceiling from elsewhere, that more or less matched, when the customer didn't want to reskim. Didn't look too bad.

To add, I did once cut discs from a piece of Artex ceiling from elsewhere, that more or less matched, when the customer didn't want to reskim. Didn't look too bad.
what do you do take the full ceiling down ,it ok now it down you can look up at all those nice pipes and hang cables .lol.

I have been using these, where I can and the customer agrees, they are a good output, not blinding due to the diffuser. I really like them especially the warm white version. 105mm cut out so I stack 2 hole saws on a long arbour to get the right size. They will fit under joists in most cases too as they are wafer thin!
Screenshot_20210209-230352.png

Reply to Replacing old R80 downlighters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net