Discuss Reporting an unqualified electrician in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

wooo hang on a sec, what did u hire him to do, building r electrics. did u ask him if he was qualified to do electrical work, if not the buck stops with you, you are the home owner, would you biuy a car without asking if the seller owned it

If the guy hasn't notified, which he hasn't because he said it 'didn't need to be reported if they didn't do that much' or words to that effect, then yes he DOES have to be part of a club/gang/crew/one of the happy clappers or to put it in proper terms a registered member of a part p scheme.

This is all, however, just schematics. From what the OP said, this berk deserves to be nicked, and moreover, people need to realise that others like the aforementioned berk should not be trusted to tie their own shoelaces, let alone be let loose on a live installations with a neon screwdriver.

The fine from LABC is for the person who does the work or the building owner so if the person who done the work has vanished etc whats the next step.

I guess there is an element of people being afraid of shooting themselves in the foot.

fine 5k plus £50 per day of contravention the last I heard.

Good old UK eh!

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with you there Marty; that's another place where the system falls over, if the dodgy spark doesn't report it then the savvy householder won't either, for fear of incurring the fine. Part P has not been publicised widely enough and enforcement seems virtually toothless.

Agree with you there Marty; that's another place where the system falls over, if the dodgy spark doesn't report it then the savvy householder won't either, for fear of incurring the fine. Part P has not been publicised widely enough and enforcement seems virtually toothless.

What enforcement:mad:

Chris

I was speaking to a retired spark the other day and he said most of his mates have not bothered with Part P and most of them do work in domestic.

He said they say as long as its safe who cares.

Why is P not advertised and made public??????????????????

thanks for everyone who has replied so far. i wasnt expecting this much of a reaction so it seems like its a touchy subject. I will take the next step of reporting him to building control and then my local mp. I am not expecting anytyhing to happen as no one seems to care but i will do as much as i can as i am extremely angry about the whole situation. Surely electricians should be protected to stop people like my builder doing work they should not be doing.

thanks for everyone who has replied so far. i wasnt expecting this much of a reaction so it seems like its a touchy subject. I will take the next step of reporting him to building control and then my local mp. I am not expecting anytyhing to happen as no one seems to care but i will do as much as i can as i am extremely angry about the whole situation. Surely electricians should be protected to stop people like my builder doing work they should not be doing.

as i said u let him do it

as i said u let him do it

i cant believe you think this is my fault. how on earth am i, or anyone else, supposed to know the latest regulations are? surely your just trying to cover your own back by blaming it on the home owner. a responsible worker whould know what his obligations are if he carries out the work. if you truly beleive what you have just written then your just as bad as he is in my opinion.

Come one, be fair, if a member of the public with no background has an apparently skilled tradesman in who says he can do a job, why would the customer question this? It shouldn't be up to the customer to go researching whether somebody is supposed to be doing what they said they can do.

If the powers that be, who decided that electrical safety in dwellings is such an issue (which it undoubtably is), put so much effort into raising awareness as they do getting money out of honest sparks, we'd be in a much better position as the customer would know what to ask for.

as i said if i hire a trades man im gona do my best to make sure he is a trades man. your house is the most expencive thing u will buy so why would you just belive what youe hear. this is not 1910 its 2010, its easy can i see you papers and id please, if he dont have get another worker, waste a day not £5000

The good ol Grey Britain paradox like everything.

two valuable points above and both true I thinks.

so he shows his papers and id and mr. general joe public knows exactly what hes looking at, recognises the nic emblem and understands what the 2382, 2391 mean etc etc....

Exactly. But if it was on the telly 'only have an electrician from ELECSA, NIC or Napit, otherwise you must get planning permission' then people would know at least to look for something. I've only been asked if I'm 'part p' by customers who have other trades in who have told them to ask - the general public haven't got a clue and why should they? There has been no pubicity for part p except in the trade press; you know, for the electricians to know who to give their money to. People always go on about 'part p doesn't work' and in my estimation this is one of the main reasons why: nobody knows it exists.

If the powers that be, who decided that electrical safety in dwellings is such an issue (which it undoubtably is), put so much effort into raising awareness as they do getting money out of honest sparks, we'd be in a much better position as the customer would know what to ask for.

You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned money this is in my opinion the primary driver behind Part P joe publics safety became a secondary issue when money could be raised from it and jobs created as that is all Labour wanted to do to make them look good

May be in the government cost cutting Part P should be scrapped as not fit for purpose

Yep, i don't think you can expect the customer to understand the ins and outs, half the bloody sparks don't.

This is a just a lack of educating the public about part p, which has been the problem since it was introduced over 5 years ago.

There definately needs to be a clearer rule so that joe public knows. If this means every spark has to be registered then so be it.

I always struggled with the logic of part P only covering some installations,this is where the confusion comes from,most people dont know what they can and cant do. It has to be all or nothing at all.

Reply to Reporting an unqualified electrician in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net