Discuss Reverse Engineering in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am trying to do a bit of reverse engineering and work outhow the socket outlets on my newly purchased bungalow are installed. Here are some facts:

For the circuit in question the CU has two 2.5mm T&E cables connected to a 32A MCB.

There are 19 socket outlets (SO) on the circuit in variousrooms.

On removing each SO I can determine that about half have a single 2.5mm cable connected and a half have two 2.5mm T&E cablesconnected.

Is there a methodology or process that I can follow to help me work out how the system is installed. For example, could I got o each SO which has 2 cables connected and, one at a time, disconnect that SO,then re-energize at the CU and determine how it affects the other SOs in the circuit. If I do that for each SO systematically is there a procedure or process that will help me work out the installation

don't do anything live!

Choose a nice sunny day and start in the morning. Remove all face plates and start by identifying the first leg of the ring by cross connecting the line and earth at the DB then testing continuity between line and earth..........

second thoughts, if I have to explain this, then call an electrician, because if I have to explain how to 'bell out' to a fellow sparky, then god help.

so you must be a DIYer and this should be on the DIY forum.

LEAVE WELL ALONE AND CALL AN ELECTRICIAN.

DO NOT TOUCH YOUR ELECTRICS!

You probably have a ring circuit with various spurs from undetermined points, most likely junction boxes under the floor. Don't assume you have a ring circuit though, I have seen plenty 32A MCBs with 2 2.5mm radials in them.

So ring continuity testing then continuity testing of all the legs. As said, DO NOT disconnect random wires then go energising the circuit. Best to call an electrician with the correct test gear and knowledge.

don't do anything live!

Choose a nice sunny day and start in the morning. Remove all face plates and start by identifying the first leg of the ring by cross connecting the line and earth at the DB then testing continuity between line and earth..........

second thoughts, if I have to explain this, then call an electrician, because if I have to explain how to 'bell out' to a fellow sparky, then god help.

think about it 9 loop in loop out and 9 radials

??????
I am trying to do a bit of reverse engineering and work outhow the socket outlets on my newly purchased bungalow are installed. Here are some facts:

For the circuit in question the CU has two 2.5mm T&E cables connected to a 32A MCB.

There are 19 socket outlets (SO) on the circuit in variousrooms.

On removing each SO I can determine that about half have a single 2.5mm cable connected and a half have two 2.5mm T&E cablesconnected.

Is there a methodology or process that I can follow to help me work out how the system is installed. For example, could I got o each SO which has 2 cables connected and, one at a time, disconnect that SO,then re-energize at the CU and determine how it affects the other SOs in the circuit. If I do that for each SO systematically is there a procedure or process that will help me work out the installation

OK. I will post onto the DIY section - but the question will remain the same. I assume your response to the post will be the same.
don't do anything live!

I feel that I posted an appropriate question. I got one sensible response from "Andy 78". The rest of the responses appear to be from people that choose to use this forum as a means of "knowledge Willie waving". I post my questions to learn from people that have more knowledge than me; not to be ridiculed by those that have more knowledge than me that they have more knowledge than me.

Voltz said - more or less - don't do anything don't touch anything. In other words - if you don't have the knowedge don't try and learn from this forum. When you don't have the knowledge; pay an electrician.
I think the answer has been given several times mate. Voltz hit the nail on the head in one of the 1st posts.

I feel that I posted an appropriate question. I got one sensible response from "Andy 78". The rest of the responses appear to be from people that choose to use this forum as a means of "knowledge Willie waving". I post my questions to learn from people that have more knowledge than me; not to be ridiculed by those that have more knowledge than me that they have more knowledge than me.

I was really repeating what Voltzelectrical had already said.
As for willy waving, some members refuse to give advice and knowledge to those who they feel may endanger themselves or others as a result of said advice being given...and quite rightly so. That's their prerogative. You may not demand or expect knowledge from this forum, it is given as it is deemed acceptable and responsible to do so.

Reply to Reverse Engineering in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net