Discuss RGB LED strip light possibilities in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Joe.Smith

Hi,

I need your help with a question about RGB LED strip lights. What I am not sure about, is what strip lights I can use with DMX drivers. If I want a wide range of colours, than I need a DMX for sure. But can I just buy any RGB strip light? Or there are ones which allow only a few colours, whatever controller I connect them to?

Thanks,
Joe

Have a look at these sites

terralec
Abstract
stage electric
used lighting
LED displays ltd

these are sound and lighting suppliers for the entertainment industry you may find what you are looking for here

Hi, I think ebay shop dailysources is a good choice . Maybe you can contact with them for help . For RGB LED LIGHT STRIPS or other LED LIGHTING .

I've been quite happy with the 'no name' SMD RGB tapes off of eBay (or direct from chinese suppliers) used with Artecta's ColourDrive DMX controllers.

I wouldn't buy the controllers directly from a lot of the places that sell the tape (mainly because I doubt that many of the Chinese manufacturers actually complying with the standards they claim they are, but this is less of an issue with 12V LED tapes than it would be with control gear or anything else that takes a mains input imho)

The showtec/artecta "COLORLINE" range is also pretty good - and is RGBW or RGBWA rather than just RGB which does achieve nicer whites and warm white colour temperatures than you can get just with RGB mixing.

[Edit: In the interest of full disclosure I resell Highlite products (amongst others) through the website stagelamps.co.uk , I am not, however, employed by highlite/showtec - I just like their products.]

No mate. You dont need any dmx to control a wide range of colors with LED strip, all you need is a decent LED controller. As for buying from Chineese suppliers on Ebay, the issue is that you never know what you are gonna get and how long it will last. This is all dependent on what LED chip components they use, if they arent sharpe, Cree, samsung or phillips then dont go near it. I have had a lot of trouble with cheap imitation chineese made chips, ebay sellers can be dangerous when it comes to LED. I recently found a really good source on the net teucerled.co.uk, there based in battersea in London, they dont list prices on there site because they sell to wholesalers, but if you give them a call, they are very knowledgeable, they sorted me out many times.

I'd always be a bit skeptical of any lighting company that uses stock photographs in their gallery - taken from Countrywide Property - of an installation that isn't even LED to advertise the 'gallery of their work'

I'm also always a little suspicious of first posts as a reply to a year old thread that read like an advert - but I've been wrong before ;)

Well in relation to me replying to a post which is a year old, i salute your suspicion. But unfortunately im afraid its just because i subscribed about 30 minutes ago fascinated by the fact an electrical forum of this size exists, with absolutely no knowledge of how to use the site. So thats one suspicion answered.

As for the second suspicion. I don't really know many companies that do use photography that was made by them. Even look at huge companies such as disano, or aurora and even collingwood, they all do the same thing.

All i do know is that ive used them and what counts is the quality of product i received, which was excellent.

Thanks for the clarification - on the (off-topic I guess) note of stock photography - yes, it's common for retailers to use imagery supplied by the manufacturer which shows their products in use (sometimes from actual installations, sometimes set up for the photograph I would expect). I myself have used imagery from Aurora and Artecta in relation to promoting their products (although don't claim them to be products I've worked on)

What is not common is using images owned by a property company that shows non-LED products to promote LED... hence my suspicion. If you're not related to the company, you have my apologies :)

Sorry i dont mean to promote any companies on here, just wish to contribute to conversation, my apologies also if it didnt seem that way. :presents1:

Reply to RGB LED strip light possibilities in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net