Discuss RING AMP XL calc for SKT WIRE diameter in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

srands

Hi folks,the following are equations/xl formulas (SPREADSHEET :D) of what SKT WIRE would you use for RING MAIN example with a known MAX in AMPS (Given recognised KIRCHOFF equation with 3 SKT EXAMPLE1 below, D is the SUPPLY/SOURCE/START of CIRCUIT/FUSEBOX MCB).

As per the example given in the NICEIC TECHNICAL MANUAL :rolleyes:, of a RING circuit, calculated using the KIRCHOFF ;) equation.

Here is a SPREADSHEET with formulas for the example in the NICEIC TECHNICAL MANUAL.

EXAMPLE1:

SKT D to A: 32A(TOTAL OF A+B+C), 20m's
SKT A: 12A, AtoB 15m's
SKT B: 14A, BtoC 20m's
SKT C: 6A, CtoD 5m's

SIMPLY, "IF" this was a RADIAL CIRCUIT were the WATTS/AMPS MAXIMUM was known (32A), the SKT WITE to be used/spec'd would suggest 4mm SKT WIRE.

QUESTION: SIMPLY, what SKT WIRE would "you" use here for the RING MAIN example (Given the recognised KIRCHOFF equation)? 3 SKTS EXAMPLE1 ABOVE.
Please show your workings, I have shown mine long hand in the SPREADSHEET, which is the short hand version of the KIRCHOFF equation. If you have a better spreadsheet I'm sure this of interest to all electricians and DIYERS.

Obviously the KIRCHOFF equation doesn't actually reduce the actual WATTS/AMPS used, it calculates the AMPAGE spread over the RING MAIN, as an approximate. But isn't the KIRCHOFF equation the recognised standard equation for calculating a RING MAIN.

ALSO I realise in addition to KIRCHOFF, the IEE 17th Edition Pg44 qoutes something like:
1.5mm (20A not ringed) or 2.5mm (27A not ringed) is approx 32A Ringed, <less then 100m's (# 20A x 1.6 or 27A x 1.2).
Hence on the 3rd tab of the spreadsheet, I guess this is how IEE reached 32A, or a sliding scale of multiplication as you can see in the pattern #, or unless they destructively tested socket wire in collaboration with socket wire manufactuers such as Prysmian, and the suggested figures were thought reasonable for permanent use for a great many years, well socket wire isn't going to twist and bend behind plastered walls.

Cheers

Stephan

RING AMP CALC: Add your comments/workings and upload/post

FUSEBOX MCB autocalc 3rd & 4th tab

ELEC GAS WATER autocalc 1st tab, scroll down

LONG HAND OF EXAMPLE1 with KIRCHOFF short hand:

SKT D to A: 32A(TOTAL OF A+B+C), 20m's, Cumlative Count 0A
SKT A: 12A, AtoB 15m's, Cumlative Count 12A
SKT B: 14A, BtoC 20m's, Cumlative Count 26A
SKT C: 6A, CtoD 5m's, Cumlative Count 32A

i) Metres of Skt wire X Cumlative Count of AMPs from skts in circuit:
20 X 0 = 0
15 X 12 = 180
20 X 26 = 520
5 X 32 = 160
0+180+520+160=860

TOTAL i) / LENGTH TOTAL - Cumlative Count of Amps in circuit = AMPs of SKT LENGTH
D to A = 860 / (20+15+20+5) - 0 = 14.33A
A to B = 860 / (20+15+20+5) - 12 = 2.33
B to C = 860 / (20+15+20+5) - 26 = -11.67
C to D = 860 / (20+15+20+5) - 32 = -17.67

SEE NICEIC TECHNICAL MANUAL Pg 5

Given this example if RADIAL then 32A would use 4mm SKT WIRE. So if RING circuit what SKT WIRE would you use, given the above? Please show workings.

If the above are totalled together: 14.33A + 2.33A + -11.67A + -17.67A = 19.3A
Does this equate to the AMPAGE spread over the SKT WIRE?
Hence 1.5mm SKT WIRE? 1.5mm SKT WIRE is rated to 20A. OR since the figure is very 20A, then the next biggest 2.5mm SKT WIRE which is rated to 27A? (Bigger is always better). :cool:

Cheers

Stephan

RING AMP CALC: Add your comments/workings and upload/post

FUSEBOX MCB autocalc 3rd & 4th tab

ELEC GAS WATER autocalc 1st tab, scroll down

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say, words fail me.....

No they don't ......... Get yourself booked on to a basic electrical instalation course....quickly

heres some more......Completly clueless, utter rubbish

Last edited by a moderator:
is it my eyes, or too much amber nectar. sure i.m seeing double. whoever taught him copy and paste wants shooting. this is the 4th thread on the same old topic.

Copy and paste is great.
Copy and paste is great.
Copy and paste is great.
Copy and paste is great.
Copy and paste is great.
Copy and paste is great.
Copy and paste is great.
Copy and paste is great.
Copy and paste is great.
Copy and paste is great.
Copy and paste is great.
Copy and paste is great.
Copy and paste is great.
Copy and paste is great.
Copy and paste is great.

Oh I'm bored, I'm off to play on a DIY forum ;).

Copy and paste is great.
Copy and paste is great.
Copy and paste is great.
Copy and paste is great.
Copy and paste is great.
Copy and paste is great.
Copy and paste is great.
Copy and paste is great.
Copy and paste is great.
Copy and paste is great.
Copy and paste is great.
Copy and paste is great.
Copy and paste is great.
Copy and paste is great.
Copy and paste is great.

Oh I'm bored, I'm off to play on a DIY forum ;).

You not going to lock horns with Ban are you mate?

Honestly I have never known kirchoffs law being utilised in domestic ring final, it's amazing and if he calls cable ...........WIRE one more time i'm going to do something I may very well regret.

I always buy 2.5 skt wire and then my 2.5 spur wire separately at the wholesalers.

Honestly I have never known kirchoffs law being utilised in domestic ring final, it's amazing and if he calls cable ...........WIRE one more time i'm going to do something I may very well regret.

I take it you dont fancy using 6mm wire for an 85Amp ring to supply multiple showers........ You have to read the rest completly deluded.He also has access to type A MCBs!!

The type "a"s must be for the 2.5mm radials with 32 Amp mcb protection, or the 40 amp 2.5 rings or the 1.5mm 32amp ring mains......

I don't think he knows what Micc is, it would be interesting to know what he would call it though, if t&e is skt wire, is MICC "burny hot fire wire"...

Reply to RING AMP XL calc for SKT WIRE diameter in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net