Search the forum,

Discuss ring c.p.c readings in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

c.boy

-
Reaction score
Hi all

Keep getting pulled up by my gaffer to fix my earth continuity readings!!! Am fully aware that in a ideal world that my earth should be 1.67 x higher than live and neutral!!! however my last test sheet to be thrown back at me had 0.32 live and neutral and 0.62 earth continuity!! the earth was defo a 1.5!! yes it should be about 0.53 but i am testing some very old installations!!!is my gaffer right and the readings should always match the calculations as am close to taking him to the car park and beating the **** out o him!!!!its getting beyond a joke am even taking every socket of no to ensure no loose connections!!!:mad:

Tell you gaffer to get off his lazy arse and learn his job, their is nothing wrong with small variations in the readings, parallel paths, small variations in the terminal tightness etc all play a part as long as its not way out and your earth loop is under permitted value your fine.

If your testing new installs you should expect to get results as per the calculations, but in practice this doesn't always happen. Your doing periodics so you should be looking at the calculation as a ball park figure, i've been doing loads of periodics lately, and hardly every get perfectly matching figures! as long as its there abouts and you've checked the connections then you can only record the results you get. the readings you have sound fine.

sounds to me like your gaffa is a tw@! does he actually know how to test? You could suggest that you ignor the tester and just write down what he wants to see!

i have the same sort of problem, my gaffa rings me up telling i've done certs wrong, i just calmly tell him to read his regs, on site guide and guidance note 3, and tell him HE is wrong! usually takes a few days for him to work out hes full of sh#t and stops bothering me!

If you do go to the car park just make sure the CCTV is off!!!!

He is certinalty being 'picky' if it was me i would ask him to explian why he thinks it should be exaclty 1.67 etc, as already said there are so many reasons that can affect the end results. I would think that he would't be able to give you a good explaination?
Regards
AJ;)

interestingly, i had the very same problem on my niceic inspection and as some of the installation was over around 20 years the earth in the 2.5 t&e was only 1.0mm i did not notice this at first and the reading i was getting was double not the 1.67 ratio that is given in the osg

Reply to ring c.p.c readings in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net