Discuss Roof anchors in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Order them all and see which fits - :mad: we ordered slate hooks for an install last week and when they came they were'nt suitable for slate! Work that out if you can. Had to order 2 sets of the others to make sure that the customer wasn't inconvenienced again. Meanwhile the roofer couldn't come back til next week and my cashflow went up the spout again!

My advice would be read the installation literature (which we did) and then double check with your supplier. When I commented to our roof supplier that the slate hooks weren't for slate he said he knew - but I hadn't checked with him before I ordered and assumed that slate hooks would be for slate roofs :rolleyes:

Renusol - I was all for changing to Schuco before we went to Birmingham for the Segen conference but the guy at the Schuco stand couldn't be bothered to explain the wind and snow loading calcs for me and told me to read the manual - went right off them then. Renusol have a 6 page installation guide which is about as much information as my crammed brain can take at the minute!

Has anyone found the schuco sample roof anchor kit on the Segen web site? was told about it at the birmingham conference, but think it was a fob off..

I get my roof kit from Waxman Energy and they gave me their Renusol and Schletter kits free - their service is really good and that's why I'm staying with them rather than buying Schuco from Segen.

As far as I know, the Schuco slate anchors screw ontop of the tile using sealing screws with rubber seals and sealant, rather than underneath them like normal PV brackets. As long as you're very careful with sealing them. For our MCS accreditation it caused a bit of an issue because the assessor said it didn't meet the requirements of the MCS guidelines (Because we used sealant which isn't seen as a 'durable' measure), but in the end it was all good. There aren't too many options regarding slate installations and the supply companies aren't willing to give info on how to install them because of the fact it involves piercing the slates and using sealant.

I hate anything that breaches the tile, but I can't see any other way of doing it. Hangar bolts look like being the only reasonable option in my opinion - and I'm not entirely happy about it.

We used roofers on our slate job this week and they were horrified at the thought of drilling and sealing the slates. All 68 hooks were fiitted by lifting the slate (some as big and almost as thick as paving slabs and some the size of half bricks and quite thin) cutting and flashing the slate back in. They had a stock so slate with them incase of breakages and it looks as though we've got another job on the back of the care that was taken with this job. Pain in the backside though .....

Don't know if you can see it on this photo - every bracket was flashed in with lead after it was fitted.

solar panels 001.jpg

It's sealed underneath with a roof sealer that stays semi fluid. So the flashing sits on a sort of floating seal - our roofers are working on slate every week that's why we subcontract them and that's the way it's done by the professionals. We had 2 slate roofs in a week - don't want to see another for at least another couple of weeks!

Using a lead flashing with slate imo is the only way to do it right, being a roofer i strongly wouldnt advise drilling thro the slate and trying to use sealant. These anchors that go thro the slate with the rubber washers wont stay watertight for long if even atall and they will perish with the weather, any movement or probibly just trying to tighten them up will crack the slate...... wasnt very impressed that on the pv course they were advising using these types of anchors!!!

Sorry to be goin on but we would have had the lead up under the slates in your picture, then they wouldnt need sealed, it would be just like fitting a vent or a flue pipe, ive took a lot of good info from reading on this forum, being a non spark hopefully this might help some of you guys back!

No worries about going on about something - we're all learning from each other. Our roofers have been doing this for over 20 years but it doesn't mean it's the best way. I'll tell them what you said, I seem to think there was a good reason for not doing it this time but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

Reply to Roof anchors in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net